Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

FRC vette vs TT Supra and EVO

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FRC vette vs TT Supra and EVO

Went out for a ride last night and it was fairly uneventful until the ride home.

1st race: Me vs TT Supra (BPU @ 18psi)
Driving home I see a Supra ahead so I speed up to investigate. Its a nice looking Black Sup lowered with some some nice gunmetal wheels and an exhaust. Get next to him and throw him a few revs to let him know Im game. We do a couple of roll ons with me pulling a few cars each time. Finally we catch a light. We both give each other props on nice rides and tell each other what we've got done. Light goes green and Ive got him out of the hole by a half a car. I flip the switch half way through 1st and its bye bye time. I run it through 3rd and have about 5-6 cars so I shutdown...no need to go faster. He gets next to me and we both give each other a thumbs up and go our seperate ways.

2nd race: Me vs EVO(mods unknown)
About half an hour after running the Supra I come up on a bunch of turbo imports. A couple EVO's, an STI, and a few first gen DSM's. I pull up on a red EVO and he wants me to follow him to a spot so we can race. I agree and follow him to a Walgreens parking lot were we discuss the race and how it will go down. He asks what I have done and I tell him. He then ask's that I dont spray. I agree and ask what he's got and he says just minor bolt-ons and a tune. So we go to the spot and he(EVO) runs the STI first. The EVO launches and when he shifts to second a huge fireball shot out his exhaust and it sounded like a 1/4 stick went off. He ends up beating the STI.

Now its my turn. We line up and go off a flagger. Arms drop and I spin half of first. Im at his rear quarter panel when my tires get some traction and I start to pull slightly. Shift to 2nd and start to pull a little more and by the top of 2nd were about even. Nail 3rd and pull him a little more, hes now at my door. Grab 4th and shortly after I shutdown with him at my rear quarter. He goes flying by. We go back to the lot and he says I shutdown early and that he was pulling me in 4th...sure buddy. I pull every gear, but 4th gear hes gonna pull me? I tell him nice race and he takes off.

I have a question for the EVO guys on here. Could this guy really have been bolt-ons with a tune only? The car loped pretty good at idle so Im guessing that it probably had cams also.

My car is bolt-ons only with a small dry shot(85 rwhp). It makes 357/359 NA and 442/497 on spray. My car ran 12.3@115 without the spray. I dont have any good spray runs cause I was still on the stock clutch. Textralia is in now and grabs awesome.

Jeff
Old 08-20-2006, 03:41 PM
Launching!

Bolt ons such as pipes and a tune might get him low 300s WHP. With Cams maybe similar to you if he is running 272 degree cams or equivalent. Considering that you have 350+ and you are more aerodynamic, Id say he was likely cammed. Plus you heard his idle. Though 4G63s dont sound like your average 2L.

Nice kill for sure. Taking a modded Evo from a dig with bolt-ons only can be tough. Good driving.
Old 08-20-2006, 04:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, if it sounded cammed it likely was. They have a lopey idle when cammed. He probably had intake, downpipe, cam gears, tune, and the aforementioned cam. Basically on race gas he'd be in your car's ball park 1/4 mile wise, though not if you were on the juice. Next time you see him spray him down for good measure, and tell him "run whatcha brung". People always make others suffer for being honest about their mods.

I now tell everyone that I just have intake and a catback. Got tired of getting lied to.
Old 08-20-2006, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

An intake hard-pipe can also give you a lumpy idle in an Evo, mine is horrible and will die at times. It has to do with the MAF sensor.

I run consistant 11.7's @ 118-120mph with 110oct on my bolt on + small cammed '03 Evo. With an exhaust, MBC, intake, and tune I was running 12.3's @ 108-109mph. They are not an easy car to drag though and yes 4th gear does pull HARD especially if he was cammed and running race gas. I pick up a solid 25+mph in the back half of the 1/4.