Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Very dirty rims (Help)

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 09:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very dirty rims (Help)

How do i clean rims that are soooo dirty that has black little spots all around them that doesn't come off when i washed the car? Were talking EXTREAMLY DIRTY RIMS. I tried toothbrush and got very little off. I wanna try steelwool but i'm scared i might scratch my factory alloys camry rims.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:59 PM
Old Drag Racer

Sounds about like the front stock rims on my SS when I bought it. My rims were painted and not chrome BTW. Many years of brake dust that never got cleaned completely off. I used Castrol Super Clean and one of those little green dish cleaning pads and finally got them clean. Beware though, Castrol Super Clean will murder your hands and turn your skin into alligator skin in a hurry. Use rubber gloves. Good luck.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:31 PM
On The Tree

For a painted rim, I have been able to get anything off with some rubbing compound... I don't know how that would work on a chrome or polished rim, but you could try it out on the back side of the rim to see what it does before you do the front.

You want something that is for "cleaning" stains etc. off of paint. I got brake dust that had been baked on at a open track day off my wheels fairly easily and would not come off with any kind of wheel/brake dust cleaner (and I tried everything people recommended).