Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone done a ram air through the foglight openings?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 12:33 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Has anyone done a ram air through the foglight openings?

Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering if anyone's ever tried doing a "cold ram air" setup through the foglight openings of a T/A? I've tried searching but all I get is a 408 timeout page
Old 08-30-2006, 04:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I guess it's possible but would require a lot of work. Assuming the Firebird is similar to the Camaro except in appearance, there is a structual brace running across the front of the car behind the nose section. You would probably be required to hack large section of metal to make such a setup work. Personally it's not a route I'd bother looking at, espcially as there would be no gain either. There are plenty of CAI setups which are proven to work.

'Ram Air' is also largly marketing based on cars as we just don't reach sufficent speeds to see any benefit. 150mph+ is where it will start to work and you really need to be hitting on the door of 200mph before you see any slightly significant impact of ram air.

Air box resonance and the use of cool air ducts are the way to acheive a good induction setup. For the price the FTRA seems to work pretty well when combined with an aftermarket lid and a new OEM paper filter. You'll be hard pushed to exceed this setup even if you spend 2 or 3 times more money.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:57 AM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by s10blaza
Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering if anyone's ever tried doing a "cold ram air" setup through the foglight openings of a T/A? I've tried searching but all I get is a 408 timeout page

Yes, it can and has been done. You might wanna post your question in Drag Racing Tech, as that's where i saw the pics of the guy that had it done. Also, no, it is not that hard to do like above poster said. I'd say its no more than a good weekend project.