Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Bearing Installation HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 01:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Cam Bearing Installation HELP!

Ok, I have a nice LS6 block and I'm trying to get these damn cam bearings in and have some questions. I got a universal cam bearing install tool from Summit so I'm out $200 already so needless to say I better be able to do this. I have 3 sets of Cam bearings. (2 Clevite and 1 federal mogul) Yes they are the right part numbers. I got one the #1 bearing in and thats it. I tried to put the #5 bearing in and the Clevite just slide right in. Like I can put it in and pull it out with my hand. But the other 4 bearings that I have that go in the #1/5 hole doesn't do that. I tripled checked to make sure that it was the right one but it just slides right in and out. Very strange, I guess I got a defect. But my main trouble is that I can't get the damn bearings in the holes. Its almost like no matter how hard I beat on the cam bearing install tool it just doesn't want to put the cam in there. Sometimes they get started at an angle which is odd as the tool as a straightening cone. So I decided to measure the OD of the bearings themselves and they are all larger then what the paper (That came with the clevites) says the OD cam bearing/ID journal should be. All the bearings (Clevite and FM) seem to be 8-12 thousands bigger then what the spec sheet says each of the 3 types should be. But I guess this is normal, maybe?? Anyway what am I doing wrong and why the hell can't I get thiese things in. Any help woudl be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam