Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Making Noise with No Internal Mods?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 10:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Making Noise with No Internal Mods?

Hey guys i asked before but now it stopped and starts. My car started making noise after 6 rnds bracket racing a few weeks ago. It like almost wouldn't run and made a ticking, knocking noice in the motor. i left it there and towed it home. i take the car off the trailer and start it, it does it for like 10 seconds then clears up and stops. so i changed the oil and drive it for like a week and a half now two days ago i get in to leave for work start it and bam there it is again so i shut it off and take my dads truck to work. my dad comes out and starts it later, lets it run and brings rpms to like 2500 for a few seconds and then it stops again now i am scared to drive it and to sell it like i was trying to before. what could this be, no internal engine work, ls6 manifold is the closest thing to internals that i have. i have bumped it off the rev limiter in the burnout box which is set at 6200 with my hypertech if that could've hurt something but never actually like way over reved it just bump bump bump as it came out of the water.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

start saving for a rebuild better yet a 402 shortblock
Old 09-03-2006, 12:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a lifter giving out then recovering. Might be bent pushrods?
Old 09-03-2006, 06:55 AM
On The Tree

thats what i thought that the lifter wasn't pumping up and then it did pump up so you would say swap out the lifters and then the pushrods at the same time or what and what part numbers and sizes do i need? thanks guys and is there a writeup on lifters and i know the pushrods are just the valve covers.