Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

99 firebird w/3.8

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 02:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 firebird w/3.8

I have a bird with a dead pump. fuel that is. cut the trap door to replace pump but thought I'd better check for voltage at the connector. The only voltage I found was 5 volts going to the "black connetor on top of the fuel pump but that's all. I did check the connector at where it come through the body behind the seat with a test light and it seems to have the full 12 volts. any thoughts. all relays and fuses seem to check out good. don't know about the relay under the seat though.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:40 PM
v-8
On The Tree

Is that with the pump plugged in or not? If its plugged in and only showing 5 volts its probally because the pump is shorted out and drawing a lot of current, or possibly a wire that is shorted out.
Old 09-05-2006, 02:53 PM
Teching In

unpluggled
Old 09-05-2006, 03:07 PM
v-8
On The Tree

Sounds like you may have a bad wiring harness between where it goes through the floor and to the pump... or possibly you are mabe testing the wire that goes to the fuel sender unit (for the gauge, 5volts i think) idk, if ya can could ya snap a pict of which wires your testing...
Old 09-05-2006, 03:52 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply. first let me say we were not experienceing any problems with the car. my wife drove it to work, came out for lunch and would not start. I disconnected the fuel filter and turned the key on with no results. checked the fuses in the engine compartment. swapped the relays that run the fuel pump withthe a/c comp. relay, as they are the same. checked fuses in terminal block located under hood."don't know if there are more under dash board but looked in the owners manual and fuses are located under hood it said.Crawled under car with test light and checked for power at connector that comes through the body behind the rear seat, but don't know which wire is to the power 12 volts to the pump.The test light did light up bright so I am assuming there are 12v there as the test light glowed dim with only 5v. The Grey wire I was told is the 12v feed? Then accessed the top of the fuel pump and checked it there to. There is where i found only the 5 volts you stated. I am not sure but I think it was the grey wire also but not sure. I'll have to check it again. My question is someone stated there is another relay under the rear seat and if there are any other fuses or relays hidden? The grey wire is on the black connector coming out of the fuel pump. don't know if this helps any. Thanks