Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch feels diffrent after the track (Is it slipping?)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 07:58 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch feels diffrent after the track (Is it slipping?)

I went to the track a few weeks ago, no hard launches and no burnouts. Ever since then (I think) my cluch feels like its harder to shift smooth. I dont really know how to explain it but it just feels diffrent. Before I could shift while driving normal very smooth and you cant really feel the shift. Now the car jerks and I can feel it shift most of the time.

My clutch is a centerforce clutch with probably 7-8K miles on it. I either think its the clutch or a engine/trans mount making my shifts feel more rough.

Can someone tell me how to check my mounts and for clutch slippage.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you want to see if your clutch is slipping, find a back road. Take the car up to about 45 mph and put it in 6th.

Give it some gas, and if the rpms jump and the speedo doesnt move, your clutch is slipping.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year

I Have the centerforce DF too. It does take alot to make it shift nice. I thought it was just me. It will freakin grab the gears. I only have like 1000 on mine at the most. I don't know if this is an issue with clutch slippage but when ever i romp on it in 1st it makes a banging sound. I am really hoping it is just the exhaust. I Have never launched the car or anything.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:12 PM
TECH Veteran

my CF DF is slipping now.. i have the same symptoms you have.

Originally Posted by smg267
I Have the centerforce DF too. It does take alot to make it shift nice. I thought it was just me. It will freakin grab the gears. I only have like 1000 on mine at the most. I don't know if this is an issue with clutch slippage but when ever i romp on it in 1st it makes a banging sound. I am really hoping it is just the exhaust. I Have never launched the car or anything.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The factory test for the engine mounts is to put it in first, have an assitant observe the engine, hold the brake and allow the car to try to pull without stalling. Do the same procedure in reverse for engine twist in the opposite direction. Spec is more than 24 mm of movement indicates possible loose/broken mount.

Some DIY ways are to take it out on a bumpy road and list for clunking from the mount area, or give it some hard first gear and reverse shots and listen for bangs.

I replaced mine with polyeurethane ones, and to be honest I wouldn't do the job again unless you were sure yours were loose or the rubber was split/cracked. They're kind of a PITA to get to, and the mounts I purchased required drilling, and cleaning the old mounts up with a torch to be reused with eurethane inserts.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:46 AM
On The Tree

If you want to see if your clutch is slipping, find a back road. Take the car up to about 45 mph and put it in 6th.

Give it some gas, and if the rpms jump and the speedo doesnt move, your clutch is slipping.
According to this test my clutch ISNT slipping, I did this test last night.

Quick Reply: Clutch feels diffrent after the track (Is it slipping?)