Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forged shortblock buildup -- what misc pieces do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 01:47 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forged shortblock buildup -- what misc pieces do I need?

I just want to make sure I'm not forgetting anything.

I am transitioning parts from my old LS6 long block to a new forged (for boost) shortblock. The shortblock came undressed in a GM crate with no covers, oil pan, etc. No cam, no timing set, no oil pump, heads, etc.. I have those pieces and will be installing them.

So far, here are the misc parts I think I need. What else have I missed?

Oil pan gasket (block to pan only, not the second lower gasket, since I didn't remove the lower part)
Front and rear cover gaskets
Front and rear crank seals
Oil pump pickup o-ring
Head gaskets
Valley cover gasket (eh, might as well, just to be sure)
Block plugs (service manual says that one of these -- I think the large brass one -- cannot be reused -- I guess they are cheap so might as well put new ones in to be sure)
Crank bolt (reusing old balancer)
No head bolts, using ARP studs.

I'd rather get this stuff all at once rather than go to the stealership piecemeal.
Old 09-08-2006, 04:20 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Double roller timing chain SLP style LS6 oil pump with the larger oil pump o-ring. The Green one,chromoly pushrods, comp lifters * not the type R* - heard nothing but horror storie about them. check your knock sensors, boostcam, new locks and retainers, 918 spirngs, 241 castings LS1 or the LS6 heads-ported and polished preferably, valves of your choice but take the heads and get them decked for flatness. Make sure that when you have the heads apart/ out you get new valve seals and get the valves lapped and a good 3-5 angle valve job.
Pace setter LT's ORY and either a loudmoth * personal fav* or a good catback if going with aftermarket get the good ones..i cant think of the brand if i do i will post it later.
SPOHN torque arm with drive shaft loop, subfrme connectors, adj panhard rod. TA Girdle, 3:73 or greater gears..or a strange engineering / moseur 12 bolt will do just fine.
thats all i can think of right now...sorry if it all jumbles together but thats what i came up with
Old 09-08-2006, 04:38 PM
FormerVendor

Oops! Forgot to mention that I have the Comp 921 springs -- thanks for bringing that up. I think they come with locks/retainers but I'm not sure, haven't opened the box yet. I will be running a mild turbo cam but I plan to throw over 600rwhp at this motor.

I will definitely have the heads checked out to be sure the valves are OK.

Am I missing anything else internal to the motor?

I just remembered I will also need header gaskets. But what else?
Old 09-09-2006, 12:14 AM
FormerVendor

Coolant passage gaskets,
Water pump gaskets...