Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which would you do.
Rebuild your own 4L60E
50.00%
Buy a used build 4L60E
50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Which one would you do? Rebuild your own or buy a used built one?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 05:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which one would you do? Rebuild your own or buy a used built one?

I have about $1000 for another 4l60e..I have eliminated the thought of taking it to someone as im tiered of getting ripped off and never being happy. I have seen built ones for around 1000 or so used, maybe cheaper or I almost certain that I can build one myself and make it stand up to the abuse for less than $1000 .. I have never rebuild one before, But I am not afraid to do it as that how you learn...I don't drive this car everyday, but I do drive it every month... I have a bolt on car and I do have nitrous although I have yet to use it..I doubt that I ever will but you never know..So I guess I would like to rebuild one that will hold 500 hp at the flywheel...One final note, the tranny is not in bad shape at all, just has a vibration problem with the tail shaft bearing. Any suggestions are welcome and encouraged. Thanks Josh
Old 09-08-2006, 06:08 PM
TECH Regular

Try the rebuild I have seen alot of write ups about rebuilding or trans. I believe I read once that to get the trans that you want (hold 500 at the fly) the parts would only be 400-500 dollars.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:22 PM
Banned

I've helped and avoided helping many people who thought they can built one themselves. And found out they couldn't. Some ask the question 'can I build my own transmission?' How can anyone answer that?
In other words you know your abilities, I'm betting no one here knows them. So no one here can answer that. Or 'how hard is it to rebuild a 4L60E?' no answer for that either. Some people have problems changing their oil.

You also need to include in the price any tools you need and can't make. Like the two different clutch spring depressors, I made those. Also tools for expanding and resizing the input shaft seals.

The hardest part about building one is having experience doing it. You're going to find yourself wondering about a lot of stuff like how difficult is it to get the reverse input piston back in, should it be this difficult...also getting the input full of clutches back in, etc.
Theres a lot to learn if you're only going to do it once. If you know your **** you can save money, if not you're going to waste a lot.
JMO.