Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine removal

I dont know if im posting in right fourm but i need help i just picked up a 1998 z28 for $1500 and the motor needs to be replaced. i know that the motor has to come out the bottom but if someone has pics or something to aid with engine removal that would be a big help thanks ( i want to post pics of car but it said they are to big if any could help with that to it would be great thanks again)
Old 09-10-2006, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

anyone
Old 09-10-2006, 07:56 PM
rwb
TECH Enthusiast

You can remove it from the top, it just needs to come foward and up carefully. Do a search about removing the motor from the bottom and you should turn up quite a few threads.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:00 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I got it out the top easily after removing intake and heads. Plan to reinstall the engine the same exact way! Makes it easy as hell to put the bellhousing bolts in on my t-56!
Old 09-10-2006, 08:01 PM
TECH Regular

no pictures but you'll need an overhead hoist capable of holding your car or an engine hoist. You'll also need a length of chain with chain hooks so you can run through the car. I recently helped a friend do this and we used the front sway bar mounts to run the chain through after the bar was removed. you'll need to disconnect everything, wires, brake lines........ and it is a good idea to have a jack underneath the transmission too. Once everything is disconnected, break the K-member bolts loose, but don't remove, as well as the strut tower bolts. You'll also need some sort of cart that you can rest your engine/transmission on when the crossmeber is removed. you should have the tires off at this point with the weight of the car supported by the hoist. Now begin to lower the car down until the oil pan is resting on your cart don't allow the entire car to be supported by the cart, you just want to allow the pan to make contact and then stop. At that point remove the k-member bolts, 6 of the m and the strut tower bolts. Slowly lift the car away from the engine checking wires and brake lines as you go (they like to snag) Now once the car is high enought you'll need to slide the engine out but if you are using an engine hoist it is in the way. you can be creative and try to wiggle it out but the easiest thing to do is to use tall jackstand located behind the font wheelwells on the subframe, make sure the rear wheels are blocked and the E-brake is engaged. lower the car on the jack-stands slowly and then pull the hoist away and to the side of the car. The engine should slide right out the front. (Stay away from under the car while it is being supported by a hoist or on jack-stands. This is very dangerous. Use a stick with hook to pull the engine, which is on the cart, out from under the car. j Good Luck
Old 09-10-2006, 08:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by squealingtires
no pictures but you'll need an overhead hoist capable of holding your car or an engine hoist. You'll also need a length of chain with chain hooks so you can run through the car. I recently helped a friend do this and we used the front sway bar mounts to run the chain through after the bar was removed. you'll need to disconnect everything, wires, brake lines........ and it is a good idea to have a jack underneath the transmission too. Once everything is disconnected, break the K-member bolts loose, but don't remove, as well as the strut tower bolts. You'll also need some sort of cart that you can rest your engine/transmission on when the crossmeber is removed. you should have the tires off at this point with the weight of the car supported by the hoist. Now begin to lower the car down until the oil pan is resting on your cart don't allow the entire car to be supported by the cart, you just want to allow the pan to make contact and then stop. At that point remove the k-member bolts, 6 of the m and the strut tower bolts. Slowly lift the car away from the engine checking wires and brake lines as you go (they like to snag) Now once the car is high enought you'll need to slide the engine out but if you are using an engine hoist it is in the way. you can be creative and try to wiggle it out but the easiest thing to do is to use tall jackstand located behind the font wheelwells on the subframe, make sure the rear wheels are blocked and the E-brake is engaged. lower the car on the jack-stands slowly and then pull the hoist away and to the side of the car. The engine should slide right out the front. (Stay away from under the car while it is being supported by a hoist or on jack-stands. This is very dangerous. Use a stick with hook to pull the engine, which is on
the cart, out from under the car. j Good Luck
this was my car that he is talking about its a peice of cake take about 4-5 hours takeing your time and such ill get some pics int he next day or so