Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

transmission whining???

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 03:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default transmission whining???

I just got a mail tune from TSP and now it sounds like my tranny is whinig. what could cause that? could it be my converter that wont lock up causing a whining noise? it doesnt do it in park just in reverse and drive. thanks
Old 09-13-2006, 06:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

no one can help me? its not real loud when its at idle but when i move it get a whole lot louder. could it be my converter or what? anything could help me out guys...no ones had a problem like this??
Old 09-15-2006, 07:56 PM
Teching In

What makes you think tranny? Could this not be the same whining so many have commented on with regard to the rear end? We've got that issue now and its pretty clear a rebuild will be necessary. Ours varies with speed of the car and at a higher pitch, suggesting the revs are higher and thus suggesting the rear rather than the tranny or drive shaft.
Old 09-15-2006, 10:57 PM

It sounds like the transmission pump is making the noise. Did TSP raise the transmission line pressure when they did the tune? Too high line pressure might make the pump whine.

John
Old 09-15-2006, 11:35 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 79 Likes on 56 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

excessive line preasure will cause whine , and its something i have learned tuners love to do not all but many , excessive line is not the way to make a 4l60e last ,
performabuilt.com
Old 09-17-2006, 12:09 PM
Teching In

My th-350 is making a really loud whining noise in first gear... it could possibley be doing it in second and third, but exaust is to loud. In first gear it sounds like a have a turbo, when i slap it in nuetral while i'm rolling it'll go away....so its not the rear end. My set up is a th-350 w/ manual valve body.... any help on this would be great.
Old 09-17-2006, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well i think it is my torque converter because it has been bad for while...im getting a new one this week and getting it put in...and yes they said they did raise the line pressure which i wish they wouldnt have..i might have to send it back in and get that back to normal....my fuddle quit locking up and the trans guy said it could be the tc getting worse. hopefully that is the problem....i thought it might have been the rear at first but it does it when its in reverse or drive and just rev it a little bit no moving
Old 09-17-2006, 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

oh and if i get the line pressure back to normal and it is the pump will that quit whining or is it now broke? thanks

Quick Reply: transmission whining???