Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Bosch fuel injector question

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 10:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bosch fuel injector question

I had my fuel injectors replaced with Bosch 36# units when I had the STS turbo installed. It ran fine for a while (~2000 miles). Then the fuel pressure regulator failed. I pulled the rails and injectors to replace the regulator myself. The operation was a success, except now my injectors are falling into the intake manifold and out of the fuel rails. I have tried new orings, lubricating the orings, everything I could find on the forums. I then researched some more, and discovered that the original injectors have a groove cut near the top for a clip that holds it to the fuel rail. The Bosch do not have such a groove. Is there a solution out there? I am really frustrated at this point and would appreciate some advice.
Thanks in advance.
Old 09-14-2006, 02:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

Thumbs up An easy..

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
I had my fuel injectors replaced with Bosch 36# units when I had the STS turbo installed. It ran fine for a while (~2000 miles). Then the fuel pressure regulator failed. I pulled the rails and injectors to replace the regulator myself. The operation was a success, except now my injectors are falling into the intake manifold and out of the fuel rails. I have tried new orings, lubricating the orings, everything I could find on the forums. I then researched some more, and discovered that the original injectors have a groove cut near the top for a clip that holds it to the fuel rail. The Bosch do not have such a groove. Is there a solution out there? I am really frustrated at this point and would appreciate some advice.
Thanks in advance.

fix, is to have someone w/ a lathe, cut the groove. Use the original inj for a depth/location measurement.
I have done that for several folks, when cleaning/flowtesting thier used injectors.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
Thanks in advance.
How about some after market fuel rails? I have a pair of F.A.S.T ones, and you dont need groves in the injectors for a clip, the injectors pushed up in the rail and its not going anywhere.

f I had a turbo I would feel more comfortable with larger injectors then 36#, the are probably okay, and recommended.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanx for the replies.
I don't have the original injectors (brain fart on my part). STS and TByrne actually recommends a 42 (sorry salesman told me to go 36) so I ordered some 42s with the groove. Grrr.
But, I have all the tools to move to 42s (LT1Edit, LM-1, etc.). I'll cut the groove on the 36s using the new injectors as a guide, and some lucky stiff will get my 36s for cheap. And I will wind up with a few more horsepower (Oh darn!).
Life is a learning process, I guess.

Quick Reply: Bosch fuel injector question