Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Gas smell?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 09:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Gas smell?

Not sure if this is normal, but I was working under the hood and happened to have my nose near the three gas lines coming out of the driver side shock tower, and the lines smelled like gas (though I had to be really close to them to smell the gas). The smell was more apparent toward the plastic tube that holds the lines in place (near the air filter box). Are these lines fragile? I did not see or notice any liquid. It is garaged and I don't smell any strong fuel odor while I'm in the garage. Only when I get close enough to the gas lines.

Is this normal (since obviously gas flows through them)? Or do I have a problem? Car runs great and there is no SES light at this time. Thanks!
Old 09-14-2006, 10:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds to me like you might have a cracked line or something coming loose, because my engine bay doesn't ever smell like gas at all, even the lines themselves. Check the lines for any dampness or wet looking spots, if you find any replace them. I have an LS1, but I would think that the fuel lines coming into the engine bay are very similar if not the same.
Old 09-15-2006, 06:20 AM
TECH Regular

I checked the lines, and took the car for a ride. Smell is not any stronger. I let it idle for a minute or two, still not any stronger, and I do not see any gas dripping out anywhere (at 46 psi, I'm sure I would've seen something).

My nose has to be 1-2 inches away before I even start to smell the gas. Any further, I smell nothing.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:34 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you removed the charcoal canister? Any of the EGR system?
Old 09-15-2006, 02:35 PM
TECH Regular

I removed nothing.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:57 PM
TECH Regular

How hard is it to change the lines? If too hard for the do-it-yourselfer, can a local repair shop do it or should I have a dealer inspect the fuel system? Thanks
Old 09-25-2006, 08:06 PM
TECH Regular

Even though the dealer said there is no problem here, I still have my doubts. See the picture, the arrow points to where I smell some gas. I don't smell anywhere on the plastic tube that holds all three lines except at the opening near the fuse box. Anyone else with an LT1 able to help me? I still don't have a SES light, and the car still runs fantastic with no sputtering, stalling, or hesitation, even at WOT. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Gas smell?-gas-smell.jpg