Multimedia Exchange Videos | Sound Clips | Photos | Photoshop

My still camera sux!...Lumix no more!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 03:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs down My still camera sux!...Lumix no more!

I'm on this photo forum, was on an assignment. Had to take a pictue of a bench for Depth Of Field excersise.... I tired to go out an take soem other shots too... THEY ALL CAME OUT LIKE CRAP! Manual focus, Auto focus... ALL OF THEM! When I use the manual focus I cannot see anychange in the focus qualities, even in that little window... nothing.. It seems like it only likes Macro shots of things w/ a LOT of color....oh, it's Lumix FZ20, btw.

I try to readjust the camera... 200 ISO, 400 ISO. Manual setup, f5.2 1/1000... nothing works w/ this thing! It takes good pictures when it wants to. I really want the Cannon Rebel DSLR, If thta doesn't want to cooperate, I'm giving up.

Old 09-17-2006, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

i'm using Canon Rebel XT .. it's the best between our small hands

BTW my friend is using the LUMIX FZ7 i'll try to apload some photos were taking by it.

Peace
Old 09-17-2006, 04:08 PM
TECH Veteran

I've taken some badass hots, but I've recently, last 5 min, learned a lot about f values. It turns out that my camera isn't really that good for a DEEP depth of field. My f values only go to f8.0. So I don't really get a deep field. Seems only good for macro's...

I took this one w/ my lumix.... prolly unknowingly had it set up right...

Last edited by bayer-z28; 09-17-2006 at 04:16 PM.
Old 09-17-2006, 04:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
I've taken some badass hots, but I've recently, last 5 min, learned a lot about f values. It turns out that my camera isn't really that good for a DEEP depth of field. My f values only go to f8.0. So I don't really get a deep field. Seems only good for macro's...
yup that's true it's good for macro's

Peace
Old 09-18-2006, 08:31 PM
Staging Lane

Ok fellas.......Depth of field is controled by the apeture (f-stop). the larger the apature number the greater the depth of field. the smaller the apature number the smaller the depth of field. IE f2 has a much shallower depth of field than f16. So, if you want to control depth of field you need a camera that has a mode called aperture priority.
Hope this helps
Sam
Old 09-18-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Veteran

HAve AP on my camera. AN dalso know what F values are. LEarned this weekend.

Eplain how AP mode WORKS tho... I'm kinda lost there.

THanx tho..
Old 09-18-2006, 11:00 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

You set it on AP and adjust the aperture to as low or as high as it will go and the camera adjusts the shutter speed accordingly for proper exposure. Its helpful if your camera doesnt have a full manual mode.

Keep in mind sometimes a shallower depth of field can add ALOT to a shot. Go look at the picture of the month for September in this forum. The car is very much in focus but everything behind it is out, a very shallow depth of field and it made for an amazing shot. With a deep DOF the shot wouldnt have been nearly as good IMO. bad95's submission of the headlight/hood shot of the HOSS in that thread is another great example as well.