Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

How long do I have left?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 09:04 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How long do I have left?

My car has 54K on the clock now and I have occaisionally raced it like most guys. When I bought the car I put a Pro 5.0 shifter in it before even going to the track knowing the importance of the adjustable stop bolts, later I had to buy a clutch (spec 3) after a few trips to the track. The next thing I had to buy was my Moser 35 splined 9" with a locker after twisting the drivers side 10 bolt axle while running drag raidials. Anyway, last saturday I took it back to the track and ran for the first time ever on slicks. I only got to make 3 passes due to the bracket racers, the first 2 passes went ok dropping the clutch @ 4200 and 5800 RPM. The last pass I decided to spray a little off the line with a .8 sec delay. The bottle pressure was way to low so the nitrous didnt hit hard at all, looking at the log I see I left at exactly 5980 RPM and bogged to 2450. I shifted into second and barked the slicks (got it on video too) and then it just reved like I had broke my drive shaft. I Panic'd for about a second and then got it into 3rd and went back to the pit. Everything seems just fine but I have a bad feeling about what happened, I know I cant keep dumping the clutch at almost 6K RPMS and expect the transmission to hang in there. How long do I have?

Last edited by WS6HUMMER; 09-19-2006 at 09:10 AM.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It will only get worse while racing (pretty fast). It will last a long time street driving though.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CW00BlackTA
It will only get worse while racing (pretty fast). It will last a long time street driving though.
I guess I'll make one more trip to the track and then build it up.

What kind of syncro's are people using to tuffen their t-56's up?
I plan on getting the hardened 1-2 & 3-4 forks, & carbon fiber blocker rings. Anything else I might need?