Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Launching Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Launching Issues?

Okay, I went to the track for the first time with this car last Friday. I did horrible! Anyway, I had drag radials on, but they were from our Buick T-type, so they were a 15inch wheel with a high sidewall and sort of pushed out because of backspacing, so this is my first thought as maybe being a problem. So here is the symptoms... I pull up to the line, have no problem doing a full burn-out to warm up the tires. I launch at 3k rpms and hook, but also bog off of the line. I was running 18psi in the tires. Only ran a 9.0, but car is much stronger than that. 2nd run, I launch at 4K rpms and burn the tires off, so zero traction. I tried 3500K and it was a mixture of both, but still only a 9.1..... My 60fts were 2.1 and 2.2 with a mph of 84 or so.... Car has subframe connectors and Lakewood control arms. Orginal shocks and springs, WS6 package. For comparison, there was a Ford Lighting there that was running 8.2s.... later on we ran on the Interstate (no traffic) and I beat him from 30 to 100 by a car??? I know this car is better than 9.0, but can't figure out what the deal is. Any ideas, I'm hoping someone is going to tell me I've got the wrong wheel/tires, then problem solved.... Here is a pic of how they looked at the track:

Oh yeah, I wasn't using nitrous on the above runs. The best time with nitro though was 8.8, but same deal as above....
Old 09-19-2006, 12:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4000 spun? did u burnout in the water? and did you drive through it? because those front treads will pick up the water and leave a nice line of it for the back tires to skid on...with those big of slicks you should be able to do a 5000 dump and not spin
what gear? what mods?
Old 09-19-2006, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did not run through the water with front tires. You actually pull back into the water, so the front tires never get into it.... The slicks are only 8 inches wide though, since they are meant for a G-body. Gear is 3.23s, I have all bolt-ons, including Edelbrock shorty headers, Loud-Mouth exhuast, Zoom MU Clutch, etc.... Maybe I should have dropped the pressure down to 14psi and dumped at 4K or 5K..... I still think that maybe the tires are to tall... but waiting for someone to say yay or nay.....