Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake runner smoothnes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 10:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake runner smoothnes?

I'm doing a basic home port on 243 castings. I understand that the intake runners should be textured. i got the exhaust looking like a mirror. I'm so tempted to do it to the intake runners (it looks great!) how smooth can i go before it becomes counter productive?

installing in a week= these heads (if the flow numbers improve over stock) tr 224/224 112, ported oil pump, ls2 chain and, tit. retainers and all the rest of the goodies needed.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:20 AM
Staging Lane

You don't want a mirror or even a smooth textured intake port. Read up on boundary layers. There's a lot of extra info here and I wouldn't take it for gospel, but good info non-the-less. Scroll down to "the porting and polishing" myth. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cylinder_head_porting
Old 09-21-2006, 11:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

It will affect mixture atomization at molecular level and turbulence. Basicaly in Lehman terms, when the fuel molecule impacts the small imperfections it splits into even smaller particles maximising atomization, while if the runner is too smooth it will slide on it and can encounter another molecule combining into a bigger one, reducing atomization.
Let me point out that on a bench flow you'll actualy see a little more head flow, but in actual working environment it is counter productive. The effect is more pronounced as compression goes up.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
It will affect mixture atomization at molecular level and turbulence. Basicaly in Lehman terms, when the fuel molecule impacts the small imperfections it splits into even smaller particles maximising atomization, while if the runner is too smooth it will slide on it and can encounter another molecule combining into a bigger one, reducing atomization.
Let me point out that on a bench flow you'll actualy see a little more head flow, but in actual working environment it is counter productive. The effect is more pronounced as compression goes up.
Basicly you dont want fuel puddling up on the smooth surface, the rougher surface misstifys the air and fuel better for smoother combustion. Good info
Old 09-21-2006, 12:42 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys!