Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Car won't start (fuel problem)

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 06:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Car won't start (fuel problem)

My car died today after bogging out off and on for about 30 minutes or so. It would run fine and then shitty. It was because of bad gas with water mixed in.

I had it towed home and jacked up the rear and then popped the hood. I looked for several things:

1. The fuel line connected to the fuel rail was taken off and I turned the key on to check fuel pressure. No fuel was coming out of the fuel lines up there.
2. Now I have it narrowed down to the fuel system (so I thought). I took the line out of the back of the fuel filter, placed a bucket below, and turned the key on again. This time fuel flowed fine so I know the fuel pump is ok.
3. I replaced the fuel filter. When I took the old filter out it looked as if chocolate milk were in there. So I made sure to purge some more gas out of the tank to make sure it was clean (which it appeared to be).
4. I checked to see if it threw any codes which it did not.

Now I don't know what the hell to do. It will crank, it has compression, it just won't start. The plugs and wires were checked and they are all ok. Any help anyone? Let me know if you need anymore details.
Old 09-24-2006, 06:57 PM
TECH Junkie

I'd start by draining all the gas, flushing the tank and getting good stuff in there.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Regular

Can I drain all of it through the hose behind the fuel filter? And what do I do if it doesn't start then?