Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

New T/A or add to the one i have??

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 06:58 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New T/A or add to the one i have??

Right now I have a 99 black trams am A4 grey(charcoal) interior not a WS6. I used to have an '02 Bright red WS6 with 6speed and EBONY interior with those crazy seats that hugged around you!

I'm just not as satisfied with my 'plain jane just another black trams am' anymore.

But my car is still really strong at 106K, and I hate to give it up to buy another WS6 6spd that might have had the crap beat out of it and not worth anything.

Is it completely crazy to consider a tranny swap and aftermarket hood on my car instead of buying another T/A??? If I buy another car I can get everything I want, the black interior, 6spd and hood.

BTW... I had to get rid of the 02 because i got it with 8k miles at the end of 05 and the payments were ridiculous, not to mention the insurance.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:40 AM
Teching In

I personally would never do a tranny swap. It just seems like you end up having problem after problem with them. I would just be patient and keep looking around utill you find one that is in excellent shape.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:15 AM
Staging Lane

That does seem to be the problem... nobody really wants to get rid of them seems like. And if I do find one I like the price tag is up around $20K!!! I got my car pretty cheap, I only paid $9,000 a year ago for it and right now it still has a NADA trade in of $9,700 and a retail of almost $12K. There's almost $4,000 difference between what I owe and the trade in value so I could refinance it if I needed the cash to make it ram air and all that. But then again that could be five grand to go on another if i sold it...

Just wanted some opinions, seeing if anybody else had swapped out trannys and the cost involved. I know how much hoods cost, but that grey interior drives me nuts now . And if i had to guess it's ridiculously expensive to change over to black right??