Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT1 motor mount HELP please

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 08:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 motor mount HELP please

I'm going to be putting a 95 LT1 from a Caprice into my 73 firebird. Today I found that the stationary metal mounts on the block are not square. The drivers side mount is about three inches back from the face of the block and the pass side is about 5 inches back from the face of the block. This makes the motor sit very croked in the engine bay. Are there some conversion mounts I need or do I need to grab the metal stationary mounts from an f-body. The replaceable mounts that are on the frame are new replacement units for a b-body and bolted right up to my stock 73 firebird frame. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:11 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you using the stock B-Body low mount A/C compressor on the passenger side of the motor? If you are not then just grab a set of f-body mounts for your 73 and it will bolt right together. The LT1`s use the same engine mount dimensions as a GEN I SBC, but on the passenger side the front mount hole is used for the A/C compressor mount. As long as you are not using the compressor you can use factory mounts for a GEN I SBC. If you are using the A/C compressor you could try drilling new holes in the passenger side of your crossmember further back and use the B-Body engine mounts. I`m not sure if moving the mount back will work or not, I can`t say I have ever seen anyone use the factory low mount AC comp. spot.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:59 PM
Teching In

G-Body thanks, your last post totally pointed out that the a/c bracket stud was the solution to moving the engine mount bracket forward. Originally the pass side engine mount brakcet had two bolts on bottom and one on top. What I did was just rotate the brakcet so the two holes were on top, moved it forward to use the a/c stud and one of the previous holes. This worked as far as bringing the bracket forward but I still can't seem to get the engine to sit on the frame right. Seems like the engine is too wide. I have sucessfully bolted the drivers side mount to the frame and then lifted on the drivers side of the engine only with the hoist but there was not engouh movement to get the pass side mount to slip in. Am I not doing this right or is flipping the pass side engine mount bracket upside down not correct and I need to get a brakcet from another car. Sounds like any vehicle with a GEN I SB will work????

In the picture the drivers side is lined up with the hole....see how much is left on the pass side. The Bracket on the pass side has been flipped upside down to be able to move it forward down the block towards the front of the car. This squared up the motor, just seems to wide. Thanks again for any help.
Attached Thumbnails LT1 motor mount HELP please-mounts.jpg  
Old 10-01-2006, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by firehawk408
. Am I not doing this right or is flipping the pass side engine mount bracket upside down not correct and I need to get a brakcet from another car. Sounds like any vehicle with a GEN I SB will work????
You should be able to bolt it in with mounts from a 73 f-body with a 350 chevy. You would need both the engine side mounts and the frame side mounts for it to work. If you are trying to use frame side or engine side mounts from a b-body it may not work, GM has been known to change the "height" of the mounts (the distance from the top of the mount where it bolts to the engine and the hole that you put the bolt through to bolt it to the frame mount). I don`t know if the b-body and f-body mounts have different heights, but I would guess that they do since this is the exact problem you would have if they did.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:27 AM
Teching In

I think you may be right. I am going to try and find some chevy engine and frame mounts for a second gen f-body. See how that wors out. Thanks for your help. Appreciate it!
Old 10-02-2006, 11:22 PM
Teching In

Okay I'm spent here. I don't get it. The frame mounts that are on my car right now are the same part number for a 73 f-body and for a 95 caprice. Which would leave me to believe this is the correct frame mount for the deal here. The engine mount that they list for an f-body is not wide enough to cover the frame mounts. I don't get it. The B-body engine mounts look a LOT taller than the rest of the enigne mounts I'm seeing. These part numbers and such I'm referencing from kragens. I even had the guy at Kragens pull a set of frame and engine mounts out for a 73 camaro with a small block and even they would not match WHAT THE HECK!!!!!!! The frame mount seem to be too wide for the engine mount. My weekend is shot, I will not be able to get out to the junkyard to actually look at some cars. I don't understand what I am missing, this was suppose to be so easy.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:44 PM

I googled it and it looks like you may need the older style mounts.http://www.fbody.com/tech/details.cgi?id=76

Quick Reply: LT1 motor mount HELP please