General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Wrecked my Camaro...need parts info.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 05:48 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unhappy Wrecked my Camaro...need parts info.

Well, I was on my way to work this morning when some ******* decides to pull in front of me at a busy intersection. It was either hit him or swerve hard...I chose the latter due to basic instinct. In the process of taking evasive action, my rear end got away from me on the wet road and sent me across a concrete lane divider and then sideways into a high sidewalk in the opposite lane. Thank God it was a Sunday morning and there wasn't any traffic coming towards me or I would've really been hurt.

Anyway, there wasn't any body damage other than some scrapes on the front bumper. The airbags blew. Both rims on the passenger side were shattered. The K-member got pushed into my oil pan and cracked the oil pan slightly. The steering rack is gonna need replaced. Some suspension parts on the front passenger side need replaced as well.

Do you guys think it'll be worth the time and effort for me to fix it or should I just find a salvage yard to buy it or part it out on my own? The insurance company is screwing me. I told them I wanted full coverage on this car when I first bought it. Now they're telling me I only had liability on it. I don't think I'll be able to fight them on it.

If I do fix it, what am I looking at? The suspension parts I can do no problem. The steering rack I'm not too sure about. On car-part.com they list steering racks from 3.8 and lt1 cars as being interchangeable but when I searched HERE it appears that an ls1 rack needs to be replaced by a rack from another ls1...can anyone confirm this? The airbags I can probably get off of someone here parting their car out. As far as the K-member and oil pan I guess I'll need a cherry picker or something to hold the engine in place while I remove the K-member...correct? It's gotta come out to replace the steering rack and oil pan anyway, right? I'm thinking tubular K-member if I do decide to keep it and fix it up.

I'm just so confused right now and overcome with emotion. Please LS1TECH, guide me in the right direction!
Old 10-01-2006, 09:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well i'm glad the body seems ok, bc when i got t-boned by a tree in an eerily similar situation, i shattered my passenger side door and bent the frame... $4000 to fix. Insurance company picked up that tab tho.

Your airbags are gonna suck to replace... i duno if it's worth the effort to do it alone, but the dealership told me $4-5k just to get new modules and calibrate them. Luckily (or unluckily) mine never fired.
Old 10-01-2006, 11:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

drop everything out of the bottom, find a ls1 rack which isnt that hard...get them for like 140, aftermarket kmember 500, cant remember the price on a oil pan......depends on what suspension you need....and you can get the airbags off ebay...just installing them is gonna be a pain....airbags hmmm