Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mahle pistons in a 408

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 08:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mahle pistons in a 408

Are Mahle pistons good and how do they compare to Diamond? Will they withstand a small shot nitrous every once in a while?
Old 10-06-2006, 10:25 PM
TECH Addict

the mahle pistons are rated to around a 200 shot acording to tsp and those are the ones i am going to use in my 408 shortblock they built for me.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:56 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks and what about wiseco. I see alot of people like there pistons too. i did some research and the wiseco weigh about 336g and the mahle weigh approximately 400g. What are advantages and disadvantages of a lighter piston.
Old 10-11-2006, 11:34 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up

Wiseco pistons are some of the heaviest duty out there and the weight number you saw was a misprint. They are about 450G in general on the 408 stuff. Mahles are great pistons but have much thinner ring lands. I have still never seen the Wisecos fail in normal use and we even have people doing some extreme NOS as well. If the Wiseco's fail any other piston would have failed much earlier. Diamond has some NOS specific models too that are very strong.

Keep in mind though that with any power adder especially NOS you can burn up stuff in no time. I have a set of pistons right now that were in an NA engine but are burned and even have some aluminum out on the cylinder walls on two cylinders but again something else happened to them that has nothing to do with Wiseco. I had a set of nice JEs go south like this too around the valve pockets and they were leaned out as the heat treat on them was gone big time as compared to further down on the piston. I see lesser pistons vaporized all the time around Houston.

Originally Posted by 1fstbird
Thanks and what about wiseco. I see alot of people like there pistons too. i did some research and the wiseco weigh about 336g and the mahle weigh approximately 400g. What are advantages and disadvantages of a lighter piston.