Sponsored by:

Help with Engine ID/Swap advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 11:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Engine ID/Swap advice

Hey folks,
Got my tow rig set up now. `02 2500HD Cognito lift with twin Bilstiens up front and back, Tru-Flo intake, Super chip etc etc.

Need some help on choosing an engine for a Jeep Wrangler (YJ) swap. Not looking for a mega HP motor. Just a good runner with bottom end torque. Aluminum heads/block a plus. Roller cams are a benifet. Just have not kept up with the offerings for a while.

The Jeep is set up with the NV4500 trans, Atlas II 3.0 transfer case. Dana 60 frt/rear with 5.13 gears and lockers. 33 x 13.50 Nitto Mud Grapplers.

4.3 maybe. With or without a balance shaft ? What year did they go to the Vortec design ? Inject it or carb it ? Any with Alum. heads ? I have heard that the 4.3 runs a bit rough and the balance shafts really didnt do much ??

4.8 V8 ? Dont know anything about this motor. Aluminum heads ? Aftermarket parts aval.?

5.3 is this the old 305 ? Perhaps a good choice for a modest motor. Can it be carbed and HEI ed ? Any alum. or rollers ?

How about the 5.7 ? This is the 350 isnt it ? Did it ever get the Vortec treatment ? If so when ?

Course the 6.0 which is what I have in my HD. Be nice but perhaps a bit too much power. Dont want to start breaking things.

I have a late 60`s 2 bolt 350 long block. It would need to be freshened up but could be used. But by the time I did the machine work and parts I could get a low mileage, late year FI motor from the boneyard and take advantage of the Vortec design, alum. and FI

What do you folks think would be the best way to go ?

Thanks !!
Old 10-07-2006, 01:25 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

The 4.8 (300 cid) & 5.3 (327 cid) are a part of the LSX engine family. They're no where close to the old 305. Yes, the 5.7 is the 350 (actually 346 cid).

I'm moving this to Conversions & Hybrids...