Midwestern Members IA, IL, IN , KY, MI, MN, MO, NE, OH, WI, KS, OK

Every state different? Emission questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 11:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Every state different? Emission questions

Are every state's emissions different? Just from reading and general knowledge, all I hear about is California, but am I gonna get busted for running an H-Pipe/LT's/Bullets in Illinois? Are cats/EGR/AIR required in every state? I'm not too worried about it as long as they don't throw me in jail . Don't really see how they're gonna know....do cops do checks on traffic stops?

Also wondering if there even are emissions tests in Illinois? Never had to get any of my other vehicles tested, so I'm not sure why my 'bird would be any different....
Old 10-10-2006, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by venom889
Are every state's emissions different? Just from reading and general knowledge, all I hear about is California, but am I gonna get busted for running an H-Pipe/LT's/Bullets in Illinois? Are cats/EGR/AIR required in every state? I'm not too worried about it as long as they don't throw me in jail . Don't really see how they're gonna know....do cops do checks on traffic stops?

Also wondering if there even are emissions tests in Illinois? Never had to get any of my other vehicles tested, so I'm not sure why my 'bird would be any different....
its different in every state, its also a federal offense to **** with emission devices on cars. Each state is different, they don't do emission in my county, so parts of the state they do though. They just look under the car for cats and do a "safety" inspection, check brake pads...ect.
Old 10-10-2006, 11:43 PM
Staging Lane

Alright...In this Illinois government link - http://www.epa.state.il.us/air/vim/faq/testing.html#1b

It says "What areas of the state are testable for vehicle emissions?" and lists off zip codes.....If my zip code is not listed (which it is not), this means I don't have to get tested and this is their way of getting around saying "You don't have to get tested unless your zip code is below"?

Not trying to beat a dead horse here, just making sure I don't get a letter in the mail telling me to come in and get my **** checked after I throw headers on

Last edited by venom889; 10-10-2006 at 11:53 PM.
Old 10-11-2006, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by venom889
Alright...In this Illinois government link - http://www.epa.state.il.us/air/vim/faq/testing.html#1b

It says "What areas of the state are testable for vehicle emissions?" and lists off zip codes.....If my zip code is not listed (which it is not), this means I don't have to get tested and this is their way of getting around saying "You don't have to get tested unless your zip code is below"?

Not trying to beat a dead horse here, just making sure I don't get a letter in the mail telling me to come in and get my **** checked after I throw headers on
You might afterwards anyway...laws change. They are trying to get the testing equipment in my area to do the computer testing...so its possible. its also possible to still get in trouble..since having cats are a federal law..not a state law. Its just a lot less likely to get caught in a area that doesn't test.
Old 10-11-2006, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Emissions controls are federally required, but it's up to the states (for the most part) if they do emissions testing, in addition different areas in the same state may or may not require emissions testing due to the amount of pollution (so called non attainment days, if they have too many in a certain time period the EPA can mandate testing)
If you're worried about it just get a catted y, and make sure the headers you get have the emissions fittings.
For the most part cars 96 and over can be tested with a computer that plugs into the computer port and scans for codes, that is the easiest to pass, just have to make sure the computer has no codes (tuning), if they do a visual depending on the attitude of the tech you can by with alot or nothing (make friends with someone who does the inspections, that's how I got around them when I lived in Mass)
Old 10-11-2006, 10:49 PM
Staging Lane

Not too worried about anything besides the state requiring me to go to an emission inspection, I guess I could gut cats and put them on there, although I live in a small town, I'm not too worried about it - I think i've got most my questions answered.....thanks again ls1tech!

Quick Reply: Every state different? Emission questions