LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

My plan...need your advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 12:19 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default My plan...need your advice

Hi guys...I'm kind of a newb with LT1s so cut me a little slack.
Anyways, I have a 94Z A4 3:23 car and have a mod plan but I want to know what you guys think before I go and do something stupid. Ultimate goal is fast daily driver. Low 13, high 12s on street tires would be ideal. Trans is dieing but a replacement is being built right now.

Car currently has:
Edelbrock headers (yes, I know they supposedly suck but they came on the car)
3" Cat Back
Morosso CAI
Airfoil/TB bypass
8.8MM wires, plat plugs and new Opti
PCMforless tune

Mods in the order I plan to do them:
Subframe connectors
Rebuilt 4l60e with the standard upgrades, transgo kit, corvette servo and 3000-3200 Hughes convertor.
Flanged CAT with replaceable straight pipe
LTs and Exhaust
Cam - Probably lt4 hotcam unless someone has one they really like...BTW, I DO have to pass emmisions.

I'll need gears in there somewhere I spose too. Do I need a tune after the stall? Why does everyone farm out there tunning instead of using LT1 edit? Is there any where that people share tunes that they have built themselves? My friends and I all did our own tuning when we were all building sh!tbox turbo dodge cars.

Thanks for everyone's advice!
Old 10-11-2006, 12:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BoozrCruzr
Hi guys...I'm kind of a newb with LT1s so cut me a little slack.
Anyways, I have a 94Z A4 3:23 car and have a mod plan but I want to know what you guys think before I go and do something stupid. Ultimate goal is fast daily driver. Low 13, high 12s on street tires would be ideal. Trans is dieing but a replacement is being built right now.

Car currently has:
Edelbrock headers (yes, I know they supposedly suck but they came on the car)
3" Cat Back
Morosso CAI
Airfoil/TB bypass
8.8MM wires, plat plugs and new Opti
PCMforless tune

Mods in the order I plan to do them:
Subframe connectors
Rebuilt 4l60e with the standard upgrades, transgo kit, corvette servo and 3000-3200 Hughes convertor.
Flanged CAT with replaceable straight pipe
LTs and Exhaust
Cam - Probably lt4 hotcam unless someone has one they really like...BTW, I DO have to pass emmisions.

I'll need gears in there somewhere I spose too. Do I need a tune after the stall? Why does everyone farm out there tunning instead of using LT1 edit? Is there any where that people share tunes that they have built themselves? My friends and I all did our own tuning when we were all building sh!tbox turbo dodge cars.

Thanks for everyone's advice!

Sounds good but forget the hotcam, there's a lot better out there now. Search Lloyd Elliott and Joe Overton. The stuff you can get now can pass emissions and still make far more power than the hotcam.

Gears: I like my 3.73s, a lot.
Converter: Wait, do the cam first, then match the converter to gears/tires/cam. or spec the converter to what gears/tires/cam you WILL have. Why Hughes? There are other good converters... explore STR and decide what to spec, especially if it'll have a nitrous hit later.

LT1edit is a great idea. However, you still need dyno time... because at WOT on the street, you'll be in jail too fast to get much tuning done!

And if you're a minimopar guy... no, you can't tune without a wideband O2, the narrowband won't cut it. (Yes, I got away with 26psi on my 88 2.2 on pump gas, but I had a few tricks up my sleeve...)

For both of those reasons, many choose to get a professional dyno tune. I don't believe in mail-order tuning myself.
Old 10-11-2006, 01:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Boodyrider
Sounds good but forget the hotcam, there's a lot better out there now. Search Lloyd Elliott and Joe Overton. The stuff you can get now can pass emissions and still make far more power than the hotcam.

Gears: I like my 3.73s, a lot.
Converter: Wait, do the cam first, then match the converter to gears/tires/cam. or spec the converter to what gears/tires/cam you WILL have. Why Hughes? There are other good converters... explore STR and decide what to spec, especially if it'll have a nitrous hit later.

LT1edit is a great idea. However, you still need dyno time... because at WOT on the street, you'll be in jail too fast to get much tuning done!

And if you're a minimopar guy... no, you can't tune without a wideband O2, the narrowband won't cut it. (Yes, I got away with 26psi on my 88 2.2 on pump gas, but I had a few tricks up my sleeve...)

For both of those reasons, many choose to get a professional dyno tune. I don't believe in mail-order tuning myself.
I'm doing the convertor now because I'll have the trans out. I'm going with Hughes because I have a buddy who works there and I'm getting a good price.

LOL, yeah I understand the days of narrowband and is gone, but why can't I tune with a wideband? Just wondered if there was a reason why people didn't use LT1Edit for tuning more. As a turbo dodge guy, we would have killed for something like that!

Quick Reply: My plan...need your advice