Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 09:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New clutch

I just installed the LS7 clutch, and now sometimes my pedal feels fine and other times i have about 2 inches of play before i can feel the clutch grab. When i have the 2 inches of play i cant get it in gear. If i pump the pedal a couple times it goes back to normal. Is this my slave or do i just need to adjust my master?
Old 10-13-2006, 09:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try bleeding it again. Did you replace the slave while you were in there?
Old 10-13-2006, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I pulled out by LS7 Clutch last week because of that problem. Im hearing its more the adjustable master cylinder than anything else.
The hint here seems to be keep your stock master

See my sig, the clutch is for sale. By the time we figured out what the problem was, most of the clutch was removed, and I replaced it with a differant clutch
Old 10-13-2006, 11:02 PM
Teching In

Its the stock master and stock slave. My car has 20,000 miles on it so i figured the stock would be fine. I didnt disconnect any lines... so it wouldnt need bled would it?
Old 10-14-2006, 08:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As a precaution, I upgraded my slave to the 01/02 version. Pushing it in, I realize that it's probably improved internally compared to my stock one even though when looking at it, the stock one I had was in excellent condition and looked similar.

I would replace the slave as a precaution, I kept my stock master, but even that I am debating to replace with a version that has had the drill mod done to it.

I have also heard the adjustable master has issues with the LS7 clutch, apparantly the LS7 is self adjusting. I know someone that put in the LS7 a month before I did and he said the toughest part about was getting the adjustable into proper position, it kept changing on him after a day of driving when he thought he had the master adjusted correctly.

For me it's about 1/3 to just under 1/2 way off the floor when grabbing, but since I've always treated the clutch as on/off launch with little to no slip off idle in stop in go, I don't feel this is a problem. It's definitly a great clutch for the price.