Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

WS6 and aftermarket Ram Air question, is this true?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 10:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default WS6 and aftermarket Ram Air question, is this true?

I have a WS6 and I've been thinking about getting some aftermarket ram air like SSRA or FTRA or SLP's or something, but I read something the other day that I would like to ask you guys about. I think it was on the LS1.com forums, but I'm not sure. Anyway, one of the stickys said not to get an aftermarket ram air with your WS6 or the air coming in both sides of the air box would create too much turbulence and actually make performance worse. Is that true? Should I not bother wih one?

Also, is there anywhere to get the BGRA anymore? And how does it handle rain if you can?

Thanks
Old 10-19-2006, 11:17 PM
Teching In

I saw a thread somewhere that went back and fourth but the general consensus was to leave the stock Ram Air, the free Ram Air mod could allow hot air in from the radiator that reduces performance or something like that. I'm leaving mine alone.
Old 10-20-2006, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Consider using your hood to its full potential. Fabricate your own BGRA and get a Volant CAI, it runs better than it did with my SLP lid with SLP CAI.

Name:  07-23-06_1240.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  43.7 KB

Name:  07-23-06_1241.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  46.1 KB

Name:  07-23-06_1243.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  21.1 KB
Old 10-20-2006, 08:12 AM
TECH Resident

cut out all that plastic behind and infront of the radiator and then cut a whole in the bottom of the air box its kinda like a ram air effect on the z's and t/a's for a ws6 with the raised air box ... i would just leave it....
Old 10-20-2006, 06:15 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by mattraypharbor
cut out all that plastic behind and infront of the radiator and then cut a whole in the bottom of the air box its kinda like a ram air effect on the z's and t/a's for a ws6 with the raised air box ... i would just leave it....
'fra mod' -free ram air mod..

most guys see only minimal gains with the ftra etc.. imho i dont think id fork out the money for one.. maybe try and fabricate one for yourself.. itd save you a few pennies.. thats just my .02

as far as the bgra afterthoughts auto still sells em, heres the link http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/bg-ram-air.html

hope this helps
Old 10-20-2006, 06:47 PM
12 Second Club

Yeah, they just sell some of the replacement parts though... :/ Thats all anybody sells anymore.

So do you guys think I should just debaffle the hood and seal it to the box, or get the volant and seal it to that? Think there would be any performance difference?
Old 10-20-2006, 11:07 PM
TECH Addict

I have the BGRA. HHP did a test on it when it was new. If you trust them, it says you gain a full tenth and more then 1mph in quarter, just by using the BGRA. They did a baseline and new run in the same day, same conditions. It's not made anymore, but I like it, I think it works. Hard to tell a tenth by driving, but it's not like buying it put me in the poor house. I wouldn't use cooking oil to lube the gasket, like the instructions say. From the underhood heat, it melted the gasket and stuck half of it to the airbox.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:43 PM
FormerVendor

The best performance is achieved with the FTRA in place and no air coming from the hood into the airbox. The problem is that the FTRA air coming in from the bottom will have more pressure than the air coming in from the hood meaning any gains from the bottom will simply be bled off. With that in mind, if you go with the FTRA, the front rubber seal in the airbox should be left in place. Your ram air hood is really only for looks and any air that does come through it will still cool the engine bay.

Forward facing low profile hood scoop just don't work. That's why manufacturers during the muscle car days shifted to cowl induction. To make a forward facing hood scoop work, you need it to be high off the hoodline like you see on NHRA cars. Fbodies are bottom breathers. The FTRA takes advantage of that.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Ftra

<not trying to hijack the thread, but I will put my $0.02 in and say I have noticed a positive performance difference since adding my FTRA. I do not have a WS6 though.
Old 11-20-2006, 07:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

The BGRA prevents any air coming up from the radiator into the airbox, so air is only coming from the hood. didn't notice anything with mine though. It took me like a year to get ahold of one. I've drove in heavy rain with no problems, but you can also buy a "rain block" kit for them.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

I actually gained a tenth in the 1/8 mile after my BGRA mod but that could be because of better driving. I got mine used right here on LS1tech. It just takes time to find one. The car hasn't been driven in the rain yet but when I wash it, I put two rags in the nostrils just to plug it up and be on the safe side. They do still sell the rain blockers though.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by _JB_
The BGRA prevents any air coming up from the radiator into the airbox, so air is only coming from the hood. didn't notice anything with mine though. It took me like a year to get ahold of one. I've drove in heavy rain with no problems, but you can also buy a "rain block" kit for them.
I have never used the "rain block" kit with mine either, have not seen much rain though, but did get caught a few times.

Damn, I didn't know they were not selling anymore, it was very well done. Thanks for the link I need to pick up a spare gasket thing. Had mine since he first sold them, paid like $160 or so.
Old 11-20-2006, 08:28 PM
Teching In

Name:  100_0966.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  111.0 KB
So what would this be considered as?

This is off my current Firebird. It has the Suncoast Creations R/A Hood and Box.
Old 11-21-2006, 06:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Need more pictures.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by _JB_
Need more pictures.
Are you serious? What other pictures do you need? The hood itself? Its real simple, its a C4 corvette sized K&N filter and box feeding directly to the engine via a tube. The air comes direct from the hood, there is no air from the bottom because of the box design and the factory GM radiator cover piece.

Quick Reply: WS6 and aftermarket Ram Air question, is this true?