Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

1991 Firebird Gauge Console problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 05:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 Firebird Gauge Console problems

This is my second post for this vehicle different problem.

When I purchased this firebird for my son I was aware of a major problem with the tachometer and speedometer. Neither works, the tach will run up to near 1000rpm's and drop off the speedometer is about 20miles/hour off. The car runs and drives fine in relation to these indications.

Can someone tell me how these gauges get their readings? I would greatly appreciate it. Also, when you start the car the oil pressure gauge goes beyond the 60 mark and then gradually works it's way back. Related? or possible oil sending unit?

Just to ensure this isn't related. I have a previous post on this vehicle's battery draining while the car is stagnant and key out of the ignition.

Thank you,
Todd
Old 10-21-2006, 08:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a 3rd gen, www.thirdgen.org will probably give you the info you need to fix both problems
FYI use the search, they get quite pissy if you don't
Good luck
Old 10-23-2006, 09:10 PM
On the tree

They both use electronic signal. The speedo gets it signal from the vehicle speed sensor on the tail of the tranny. Tach gets its signal from the distributer. I would think that maybe the plastic speedo gear on the output shaft is either missing teeth or the VSS sensor is bad.

Those car did have some problems with gauges going bad over time.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

The tach is run by a grounding strap on the HEI, if you take off the top cap you will see a small metal sliver running down and connecting to a wire, that usually runs the tach, and most of the time its marked TACH on the distributor cap.

The speedo runs off of either a mechanical cable or an electrical signal, I think yours has the electrical version.
Check the wires and the connection at the transmission first, they can get damaged sometimes with the weather or even scrapping the ground or speed bumps. Then if it still doesnt want to work, pull out the speedo itself and see if its damaged, the good thing about those cars is there are tons of them out there. you shouldnt have any problems locating parts.

Quick Reply: 1991 Firebird Gauge Console problems