Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Melling oil pump: Which spring?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 08:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Melling oil pump: Which spring?

I am ready to install a Melling oil pump (#10296) in a stock ls6 shortblock and have read conflicting information which spring to install. It comes with the higher oil pressure spring in it and a additional spring for a little less oil pressure. The motor has 25k miles with no prior knowledge what it has been through. Will the higher oil pressure cause any problems or should I install the other spring to be safe?

I am changing the cam, heads (afr 225-72cc), stock rockers, upgraded pushrods, procharger, ARP bolts (rods & heads), computer tune (Ed Wright-limiter @ 6600). I will try to baby it with the stock bottom end.

Also do you need to clearance the cover for the oil pump?

Thanks in advance for all your help. Ken
Old 10-21-2006, 10:11 PM
LS1 Tech Veteran

I would use the weaker spring. The stock bottom end is probably pretty tight on bearing clearances (main, rod and cam) and you probably have around 40 to above 60 PSI from idle to WOT now. You don't need more oil pressure that that.

What are your goals/intentions for this car?

Steve
Old 10-21-2006, 11:08 PM
Teching In

The whole thing really got out of hand. I started with a wrecked 02 z06. The motor had to come out to replace both front frame sections, then I found a deal on a A&A procharger set up and then I thought now is the time to put a cam in it. From there it just became one thing after another. I haven't messed with motors for a long time, so this forum has really helped me. But also if not for the forum I probably would not be doing this.

I don't plan on doing anything but drive it around once in a while. I am still waiting for the car to be finished (I don't do body work) so I have some time to work all of the details out on the motor. I just finished about 4 hours on here to get the pushrod/rocker adjustment worked out. The AFR heads I bought used must have longer valves in them because the stock length was too long and I used a pushrod length checker to verify it. Also the pushrods vairied in length on the 4 or so I checked so I need to have a machine shop check out the valves. Do you know of one in the Wichita area? Ken
Old 10-22-2006, 06:39 PM
Teching In

anyone else?
Old 10-22-2006, 10:20 PM
Teching In

I will use the lower pressure spring unless someone can give me a good reason not to. Ken
Old 10-22-2006, 10:39 PM
I can shift faster than you.

With a stock bearings clearances, use the lower pressure spring.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:06 PM
Teching In

Thanks Jason. Ken