Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Newbie questions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 11:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie questions...

Hey guys. I currently own a 2004 Mach 1 with about 448 RWHP as of right now. I am thinking SERIOUSLY about selling it and buying something a little cheaper. The Mach 1 and Cobra are the only two mustangs I think I will ever own, because everybody has a GT, and besides, they're NOT that fast. However, I've always loved the LS1's. One of the best motors any car manufacturer has ever built. I am thinking of getting a firebird/TransAm. I'm thinking about a 2000-2002 T/A WS6 for a couple of different reasons, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that's why I'm on this site because I know you guys know a lot more about these cars than I do. I think this time around I'm going to get an automatic, just because a 5-speed is so hard at the track. Auto's are much more consistant, and I would like to maybe enter a race or two with the car. The WS6 has a better suspension, and the Auto has 3.23 gears rather than the 2.73 that the regular auto T/A has, right? Performance wise, they're all pretty much the same (formula, T/A and WS6... is this correct? What can I expect to pay for one with decent miles on it? Thanks in advance for the help, I'm trying to weigh out my options here.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:49 AM
Launching!

Welcome to LS1tech! I think your making a great choice because LS1s are great engines. As far as the WS6 gearing, yes WS6's came with 3.23s, but in the base T/A and Formula, 3.23s were an option so you don't need a WS6 for that gearing. Your right about all of them being pretty much the same performance wise, the Formula being the lightest. In 1998-2000 though, the LS1 fbodies had 15 less HP because in 2001-2002, a better intake manifold was used, but you can only change out your intake manifold if you happen to get a 98-00.

The LS1 is a reliable engine and is underrated by GM ratings. One thing everyone will tell you on here is that an LS1 is an LS1 is an LS1.... it doesn't matter if in a Vette, T/A, Formula, Z/28, SS or GTO... its the same engine with the same ratings. Don't go by GM rating; GM rates Trans Am/Formulas at 305HP and WS6s at 325HP. Well, the fact is all LS1s in fbodys (no matter the model or body style) put out about 350ish to the crank and an average of 305 to the wheels. (The WS6 hood is just for looks by the way, it doesn't add HP). I've heard of stock LS1s dynoing up to 312 to the wheels, every car is different, there are even some stock LS1s that are weaker and dyno 290 to the wheels.

I think, if you plan on modding the car, just buy a 98-00, they are cheaper. You could find a 99 WS6 for about 12K and use the 7K that you save if you were to buy a 02 WS6 and buy mods for your 98-00.

IMO the best thing about these engines is the ridiculous top end, these cars PULL up top like you wouldn't believe! I don't know if you ever driven one before, I'm sure after you've drove one, you'll fall in love with it. Good luck!

Last edited by Formula_X; 10-22-2006 at 12:10 PM.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's a 6spd too, and I think you might be a little happier with it, BUT my personal opinion. I had a 91 with a race built tranny and I LOVED it. I still have it, and found out it's the same tranny in my 93, so it'll be swapped in Either way, you'll love having a Firebird and own't regret it!
Old 10-22-2006, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys. That helps answer a lot of my questions. I must admit, I have always been a ford guy, and I know a lot more about mustangs than fbodys. But, I have been around them (friends having them, car shows, cruising on Friday or Saturday night) and I can surely see what they are capable of. It's so easy to get horsepower out of the LS1. Seems like it responds VERY well to a nice head and cam setup! One more question I do have though... You said the 98-00 had a little less horsepower, but were there any appearance differences as opposed to the 01-02? Thanks a lot for the helpful info guys. Hopefully I'll be joining you guys in the LS1 crowd soon.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:45 PM
TECH Junkie

appearance stayed the same from 98-02, the exterior colors offered differed and some interior colors offered differed. as far as 98-02, they can all be built about the same, nearly all the differences will be changed as u build up the car. 98s have a different computer and slightly different engine and are not as sought after for those reasons, but are still capable.

suspension wise, yes ws6s got some different springs and swaybars if i remember right, but for what u will pay for the difference, u could just buy better aftermarket stuff. the only reason i would see goin for a ws6 is if u want the hood as the primary reason. thats an easy grand, if not more to add to the car and since there are plenty out there, it might just be easier to pick up a ws6.

a H/C ls1 can be pushin 460rwhp and be somewhat reasonable. if its a drag strip car, i would go auto with a 3600+ stall. the 6 speeds are capable and i know plenty of ppl that drag race them, but for consistency and stuff, auto is the choice for drag.

u could spend months on here readin about stuff. do stuff right and do it once. learn where to buy stuff cheap or used and where to buy new and top of the line

Quick Reply: Newbie questions...