General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Tranny fluid in engine before storage????

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 05:17 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Tranny fluid in engine before storage????

Some has suggested running tranny fluid in the engine for a short period (I guess idle ) and then leave it for storage. I think its nuts and never heard of this and never would think of doing it.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:15 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the oil or into the intake? I guess I could see running in the intake to coat everything and keep whatever moisture there might be from rusting the internals, but if you're going to do that, why not just used Sea Foam to "fog" the engine for storage. That's what this stuff is for too.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:13 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Philhawk02
In the oil or into the intake? I guess I could see running in the intake to coat everything and keep whatever moisture there might be from rusting the internals, but if you're going to do that, why not just used Sea Foam to "fog" the engine for storage. That's what this stuff is for too.
Heres what he wrote >

"I store my truck every year for the past 5 years. I have tried everything under the sun. The best result I had was drain the oil, fill with transmission fluid. Start the engine and let run for about 10 min and shut off. Let it be until you are going to drive it again. This is called fogging the engine. Transmission fluid sticks better and keep moisture out."
Old 10-23-2006, 07:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

hell no I would not do this
Old 10-23-2006, 08:08 PM
Launching!

I would not do this with trans fluid as motor oil will have better anti-corrosion properties than ATF.

Fogging an engine is done by spraying a fogging oil like this http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/fog.aspx?zo=1436102 into the sparkplug holes to coat the cylinder walls before storage. This stuff will stick to your walls better than any oil. Up here in the north we use this religiously in seasonal small engine equipment and snowmobiles. Another common procedure is to pour a couple ounces of motor oil into the cylinders and hand rotate the engine to coat everything. I find it easier to spray into the cylinders.