Pontiac Firebird 1967-2002 Birds of a feather flock together

Why Isn't Pontiac Making A 2009 Firebird?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 12:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Isn't Pontiac Making A 2009 Firebird?

I've been very curious what everyone's opinions are on this ever since Chevrolet unveiled their plans to make the 2009 Camaros.

Personally, although the Camaros and Firebirds have always been brothers and they have been similar in appearance and style, I have always prefered the Firebirds/Trans Ams slightly more aggressive style over the Camaros.

I honestly don't know how to feel or what to think about the new 2009 Camaros that are coming out. I cannot decide if I love it or hate it, lol.

Obviously I think the 2009 Camaro is going to be one of those cars for people: a love-it-or-hate-it type of car, if you know what I mean.

I was very disappointed to find that Pontiac is not going to continue making the Firebird to join it's brother Camaro in 2009.

Has Pontiac chosen instead to focus on the GTO in 2009 to ultimately replace the Firebird/Trans Am forever??? This makes me sad if this is the case, as I am a hardcore Firebird fan.

Does anyone have any info on this? Has Pontiac really given up on their legendary Firebirds??? Or do you think Pontiac plans to let the great phoenix rise once again from the ashes at a later time (perhaps 2015)?

I really don't care for the new GTO model they've unveiled. Sure, it looks pretty nice, but I was let down when I didn't see the Firebird joining the Camaro in '09.

The GTO is NOT the Camaro's brother. The Firebird is!!!

Who's with me!?!?

Who wants to see the Firebird be reborn in 2009 with it's brother the Camaro!!!!

Old 10-24-2006, 01:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Legal issues with the plant they were made at. GM all of a sudden stopped making the cars which kinda went against some contract they had with the Canadian plant. So now there's a huge debacle :\ There's a concept out though, so who knows!
Old 10-24-2006, 01:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Only Time will tell, I wouldnt mind having the GTO and the Firebird share the same platform, kinda like in olden days whenever the Tempest was a dressed down GTO.

That way we could have our cake and eat it too.
The Bird and the TA maybe could be a different appearance or even performance package and the GTO another
Old 10-24-2006, 01:17 AM
Teching In

im with you. i didnt really care the new gto. its always been the duo, firebird and camaro, to go after all those ford guys . even if they made it look kinda like the 1st gen. maybe us firebird guys shud try and start a petition. haha
Old 10-24-2006, 01:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it took 5 years for gm to break the union for the camaro and start up the plant again.....there not going to deal with that, or build a plant in the US just for a firebird....gm's PR guy came out and stated the firebird is done....just be happy you have one
Old 10-24-2006, 02:08 AM
Staging Lane

what do u think will happen to the price of LS1 trans am's like the 01-02's? will they spike up, cuz maybe within 2 yrs time i will be pickin up a 02 trans am ws6/firehawk with the lowest kms possible.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:55 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

This has been discussed many times. Please refer to those threads.

Quick Reply: Why Isn't Pontiac Making A 2009 Firebird?