Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilt 4L60E Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 11:07 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rebuilt 4L60E Question

I picked up a rebuilt 4L60e this past weekend. I was going to have it put into my car tomorrow. I dropped it off to my friends shop yesterday with a Transgo shift kit. I figured he could get the shift kit in today and then install the trans tomorrow.

Well, when he took the pistion out of the side of the trans there was a bit of burnt trans fluid in there. He then removed the pan and there was some (not a ton) of the same burnt smelling fluid in the pan. He said it looked like it had a new filter in it. He was going to have their trans guy (Pontiac dealership) come and take a look. They were going to remove the forward pump and look inside. Is there anyway that there can still be burnt fluid in the trans if it had been rebuilt? It said it had 0 miles on the trans.

Also, what else can be easaliy seen once that pump comes off? Anything in particualr that will tell you if it has been rebuilt?

I was getting this trans to make it thru until next spring when I will by one from one of the vendors on here. My 2-3 clutch packs are shot on my current one.

Thanks for any help!

Bill
Old 10-26-2006, 11:15 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Well it would depend on how clean the builder was , there are all sorts of people out there some meticulously clean others not so much , If you pulling the pump may as well take out the band and lift the drum up and see whats in it the story should all be there ,
Bear in mind also theres are all kinds of rebuild as people call them everything from the right way replacing all clutches seals etc. to just putting in a seal kit and fixing whats specifically wrong , Not sure where or how you bought it or how it was presented ,But as I said pulling the forward drum out should tell you alot

Call 888-744-6542

Old 10-26-2006, 11:26 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by performabuilt
Well it would depend on how clean the builder was , there are all sorts of people out there some meticulously clean others not so much , If you pulling the pump may as well take out the band and lift the drum up and see whats in it the story should all be there ,
Bear in mind also theres are all kinds of rebuild as people call them everything from the right way replacing all clutches seals etc. to just putting in a seal kit and fixing whats specifically wrong , Not sure where or how you bought it or how it was presented ,But as I said pulling the forward drum out should tell you alot
I appreciate your input. I was talking to my friend and was wondering if the person that rebuilt it had it on a bench upside down. Then when done flipped it back over and the fluid ran down.

It was presented as a rebuilt 4L60E with no miles on it. I asked about the clutch packs and was told it had upgraded packs in it.

I will wait to hear from my friend before I get to out of wack about this. I hope the person just was a little sloppy with mopping all the old fliud out.

Thanks,

Bill