anyone ever filed a complaint with OSHA?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 07:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone ever filed a complaint with OSHA?

Yesterday we had a major malfunction with our LaserJet machine. the lens was damaged and exploded. This released a large plume of dust, the dust consisting of parts, Selenium, Zinc, Berilium, and Aresnic. The MSDS (as it was relayed to me) says that the Arsenic is the major harmful componant to the mix, and lists it is toxic and 50% atomic. Now, the men that came in immedietly afterwards to clean up and fix the machine (which they still have not due to heavy amounts of the chemical) were wearing full white body suits and closed face respirators. Now, ALL the employees in the area were NOT notified by any form of management. The only reason i found out and vacated the area is because the guy that runs the laser is a friend and he told me whats up. The company refused to give me the MSDS today to have for my own records. If there are harmful after-effects from the dust that was released that is one thing, but the fact that NOONE in the building was notified other than management (who lied about the situation) and the building was not vacated, not to mention that NO safety precautions were taken to help the employees in any way. Needless to say this pisses me off and i want to make things right. Most of the guys at the plant are afraid to say anything, but OSHA works annon. so there is really no risk involved in that aspect. Does anyone have an opinion on the situation? I called today to the DFW branch of OSHA and have made the preliminary report but i have to call back and setup a "formal request of investigation" What do you guys think, do the actions of the company sound fishy to you, and would you go ahead and have them investigated for their actions?

wow, that has to be the longest post i've ever made that didn't involve cussing someone out...

Last edited by skipperbisket; 10-27-2006 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by skipperbisket
Yesterday we had a major malfunction with our LaserJet machine. the lens was damaged and exploded. This released a large plume of dust, the dust consisting of parts, Selenium, Zinc, Berilium, and Aresnic. The MSDS (as it was relayed to me) says that the Arsenic is the major harmful componant to the mix, and lists it is toxic and 50% atomic. Now, the men that came in immedietly afterwards to clean up and fix the machine (which they still have not due to heavy amounts of the chemical) were wearing full white body suits and closed face respirators. Now, ALL the employees in the area were NOT notified by any form of management. The only reason i found out and vacated the area is because the guy that runs the laser is a friend and he told me whats up. The company refused to give me the MSDS today to have for my own records. If there are harmful after-effects from the dust that was released that is one thing, but the fact that NOONE in the building was notified other than management (who lied about the situation) and the building was not vacated, not to mention that NO safety precautions were taken to help the employees in any way. Needless to say this pisses me off and i want to make things right. Most of the guys at the plant are afraid to say anything, but OSHA works annon. so there is really no risk involved in that aspect. Does anyone have an opinion on the situation? I called today to the DFW branch of OSHA and have made the preliminary report but i have to call back and setup a "formal request of investigation" What do you guys think, do the actions of the company sound fishy to you, and would you go ahead and have them investigated for their actions?
Absolutely it is fishy. You have a right to the MSDS anytime you want it.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Shackleford
Yeah, its illegal for them not to let you see the MSDS.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:41 PM
Banned

i've done a few searches to find out, do you have any idea what law, or where i could find said law that states the legality of the MSDS and its availibility.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

i've done a few searches to find out, do you have any idea what law, or where i could find said law that states the legality of the MSDS and its availibility.
Anytime you work with chemecals you are supposed to have open access to it at all times. Dont know where you could find it on the net, but just let OSHA know when you get them to come out. Every job ive ever worked at had them out in the open and remember on guy moved it from its designated place and damn near lost his job over it.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Squirrelmaster
Yep, the MSDS is there for a reason - to protect you and not the company. Find out what you can from your company, and if they refuse to work with you, then proceed to OSHA. I say work with your company first because OSHA has a reputation of going far beyond what you ask of them, usually to the point of causing more harm than good . However, if you feel you or your co-workers are at any sort of serious risk, do what you need to do and don't back down.

Tom
Considering what the cleanup guys were wearing id say they were at a good amount of risk.
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Shackleford
Yep, the MSDS is there for a reason - to protect you and not the company. Find out what you can from your company, and if they refuse to work with you, then proceed to OSHA. I say work with your company first because OSHA has a reputation of going far beyond what you ask of them, usually to the point of causing more harm than good . However, if you feel you or your co-workers are at any sort of serious risk, do what you need to do and don't back down.

Tom
TECH Senior Member

and the clocks on the servers are off
Old 10-27-2006, 07:46 PM
Banned

well, there are several other issues that if osha got involved i would want them to find. these laser machines are supposed to be vented to the outside because of the gasses some of the materials cut give off, but both of ours are not vented as such, but whenever osha comes in annually to investigate they put up a "vent" but as soon as they leave it is gone.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't know if this helps or not:

http://www.osha.gov/pls/oshaweb/owad...RDS&p_id=10099

This version may be easier to read:
http://www.ilpi.com/msds/osha/1910_1200.html

Tom
Old 10-27-2006, 07:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

well, there are several other issues that if osha got involved i would want them to find. these laser machines are supposed to be vented to the outside because of the gasses some of the materials cut give off, but both of ours are not vented as such, but whenever osha comes in annually to investigate they put up a "vent" but as soon as they leave it is gone.
Yeah, when I worked in a chimical lab we'd end up doing a lot of the same things. Like I said, OSHA isn't always a good solution because if you launch an investigation you may end up with little resolution and a lot more of b.s. to deal with.

Tom
Old 10-27-2006, 07:51 PM
Banned

thanks for that find Tom, that helps in the decision process.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:59 PM
TECH Addict

OSHA is law. Anything in OSHA is law by which employers must abide. The company is probably dragging their butts around and talking to their lawyers to assess any possible repercussions and the legalities of this.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:08 PM
Banned

i wouldn't doubt it shackelford, they are a shady buncha bastards. maybe i'll call INS right after i get off the phone with OSHA.... now THAT would put a kink in their chain....
Old 10-27-2006, 08:22 PM
TECH Addict

i wouldn't doubt it shackelford, they are a shady buncha bastards. maybe i'll call INS right after i get off the phone with OSHA.... now THAT would put a kink in their chain....
Do it, man. Maybe look for a better company, too.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:31 PM
Banned

been looking, blowing up monster.com and every other similar business i can find.

can't wait till may and those new BBA/BBMs...
Old 10-27-2006, 08:52 PM
Banned

Robotic CO2 Laser Cutting System is how the company describes the machine that was being used at the time.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Oh man.....By LAW you have to be given access to any MSDS of any chemical or substance you could be exposed to....

Open and shut case. **** em up.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK guess I am a safety professional by trade. There is a Right to Know law...Which states that you have the right to know of any and all chemicals or hazards in your work place. In that it is a OSHA mandate that states if there is any chemicals you could come in contact with, You again Have the Right To Know what the chemicals are, what their chemical compounds are, Who makes them, What there affects are, How to clean yourself if you have them get on you, and what to use to Clean them. There is also a originators phone number. This MSDS is supposed to be in a localized place where anyone with any concerns can read about the chemicals at any time. I could right more but I am leaving to go eat....If you have any questions feel free to write me....Hyde
Old 10-28-2006, 08:13 PM
Banned

Hyde.... so having the right to know sounds to me like it would be their responsibility to provide that info, ONLY if it is requested. or are they obligated to notify employees in the building at the time the accident happened.