General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Is this a bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 11:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a bad idea?

I currently have the Engine / Trans out of my formula and thus, the torque arm is not in the car either. Is it a bad idea to roll the car around / have the car on the ground, or jack the car up using the rear end without the torque arm in place? I noticed the rear suspension seems to be making a lot of noise when the car is moving around, compared to with the Torque arm in...

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick
Old 10-31-2006, 10:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Nah don't worry about it.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:08 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just watch ur toes
Old 11-01-2006, 08:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, let me put it to you like this.

I've done it.

However, when you remove the torque arm, the shocks and the PHB (and any twisting resistance it offers) are the only thing that is keeping the axle from spinning upwards and letting the springs fall out (and dropping the car on the axle, very likely the pinion yoke since it will stand vertical when/if the springs push the rear down and come off of it, this could puncture the fuel tank). The springs are located behind the centerline of the axles, so the front of the axle tilts up until the shocks stop it from rolling over. Shocks are not designed for this and you can bend them or at least risk damage.

So, best case is "no problem", worst case could be a hole in the fuel tank and just damaging the shocks is somewhere in the middle.

I'd put the torque arm on it, put the crossmember back in it and tie/chain the torque arm to the crossmember to stabilize the rear axle. If it's going to be apart for very long or moved very much or far, I'd really suggest putting the arm on and securing it down somehow.

Just my thoughts.