General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

P0442...help!

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 07:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0442...help!

This week I sold my truck so I'm DDing the Z until I get a new truck. I'm cruisin home from work this evening when I throw an SES light . I stop by vato zone and have the codes run. They said it was a P0442, the PCM has determined that a small leak exists in the evaporative emissison control system. The guy helping me out said the problem was probably my gas cap, so I bought a new one and too my luck, it doesn't fit. A guy inside the store said he had the same problem on his 99 TA and he had to get a new cap at the dealership. I have a few ??s. Anyone else ever hear of this and any ideas on what else it could be? I can't make it to a dealership until tomorrow...is that gonna hurt the car to run it with the light on tomorrow morning?

Thanks in advance for the help.

-RYAN
Old 11-02-2006, 07:19 PM
12 Second Club

It's more than likely the gas cap. Tighten it up real good (several clicks past the tight position) and the light should go out by itself.
If it comes back, try another gas cap. Swap one with a buddy, or better yet, swap one with someone you hate, but don't tell him. That's why there are no locks on these things.

J/K about the stealing one comment. :wink:
Old 11-02-2006, 08:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Probably sold you a 99-02 gas cap, that's why it won't fit - aren't '98's different? If that's not it probably something else, friend of mine had P0442 and had to have the system pressurized with smoke at a shop to find it. (Was a leak near the gas tank). Go ahead and drive it, that code won't hurt the car.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^^ beat me to it
Old 11-02-2006, 09:40 PM
TECH Regular

Alright, I guess I'll be stopping off at the stealership tomorrow at lunch to see if they have a cap that fits. Thanks for everyone's help as always! LS1tech FTW!
Old 11-02-2006, 11:11 PM
TECH Resident

Vato Zone?

It's Jerkoffs like you that make want me to quit coming to this board. *******.

Last edited by Roadhouse; 11-02-2006 at 11:21 PM.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Roadhouse
Vato Zone?

I actually thought it was prett funny. You have to admit, Auto Zone caters to spanish-speaking people. There's nothing wrong with that, it's just a fact. Lol, stealership...so true.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:54 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Roadhouse
Vato Zone?

It's people like you that I don't understand...getting your feelings hurt by some online forum humor. If you have a problem with my thread, stay out and move to the next one...not going to hurt my feelings.

By the way, real quality place it is when they don't even carry the right gas cap for my car.

As for the rest of the guys...thanks for your help, hope to have the problem resolved this afternoon!
Old 11-03-2006, 08:34 AM
Launching!

Pwned
Old 11-03-2006, 03:50 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RYNO_Z
It's people like you that I don't understand...getting your feelings hurt by some online forum humor
There's no trick to understand "people like me". I appologize for the name calling but if your car has a problem, ask your question in a manner that would not pollute this automotive board with racial slurs. That is not humor.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:54 PM
TECH Regular

I just feel that it is sad in today's world of political correctness everyone has become so overly sensitive that there is a complete lack of humor where any phrase can be found “insulting” to someone that hears, or in this case, reads it.

Regardless, I apologize and will keep my good natured ribbing in the Texas section where people can handle it.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RYNO_Z

I just feel that it is sad in today's world of political correctness everyone has become so overly sensitive that there is a complete lack of humor where any phrase can be found “insulting” to someone that hears, or in this case, reads it.

Regardless, I apologize and will keep my good natured ribbing in the Texas section where people can handle it.

so, Rick "The Corrupter" Perry, Old Woman Strayhorn, Chris "Church" Bell, or Dummy Friedman?? ROTFL

Quick Reply: P0442...help!