General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Catalytic converter health

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 10:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Catalytic converter health

I thought my catalytic converter on my 1993 Ford Ranger was bad (symptoms were, 45mph top speed (floored), and a bright orange converter, and some sort of popping sound coming from the exhaust) I removed the rusty piece today and it doesn't look melted inside like some converters I've seen. I believe this is the ceramic type due to the light brown honeycomb core. I held it up to the light (11 o'clock morning sunshine) and I could see some light, not alot but I could see some. Should I see lots of light? The converter is a two piece unit and it was only the first converter, closest to engine that was glowing. I also recognize that if the honeycombs from both units are not in perfect What do you think? Bad converter or is my engine dumping raw fuel into the exhaust causing the converters to overheat?
Old 11-04-2006, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think you converters are bad for several reasons....1. age of the truck, 2. those little honey comb things you see tell a story 3. fuel dumped into them doesnt exactly over heat them because it will just get sent out the exhaust.....you should just purge the cats let the exhaust run open after them to clear them out some more...and should do fine
Old 11-04-2006, 10:07 PM
TECH Regular

After reading back over what I posted I should clarify a bit. The truck has 74,000 miles, not much for its age, however, I drove it for 2 years with a broken exhaust valve in 1 of the 6 cylinders; this caused my best fuel mileage to be 12mpg. I realize that I caused this damage to the converter driving it the way I did and all of the unburnt fuel that passed through the converters and reacted caused excessive heat and possible damage. Jacob, when you say purge the coverter by opening up the exit to the atmosphere, are you implying that this coverter might clean itself? Are there any solvents that are effective as well? I would like to save the coverter from destruction if possible.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

we "purged" the cat on a 97 s10....we took it off the truck cleaned it out pretty good...put it back on but didnt attached the exhaust past that point....therefore when the motor ran, the pressure and heat, cleaned out the rest of the cat.....WITHOUT throwing that crap into the muffler, which will cause it damage...you will notice some nasty black crap coming out...if your cats are messed up, i highly doubt youll be able to save them, thus just clean them out....
Old 11-05-2006, 08:57 AM
TECH Regular

I'll give that a shot, I've got a pretty smooth flowing exhaust as it is, turbo mufler then duals. Ok, so if the coverters clean themselves out, lots of black stuff, will the overheating, glowing red hot, cease as well? I should post a picture because when I look into the inlet and exit it doesn't look black at all rather it is a really light shade of brown; light tan best describes it. Thanks