Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 accesorie interchange

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 11:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 accesorie interchange

I have a 98 ls1 from a camaro that I'm putting into a 68 fire bird. The engine did not come with any accesories. I would like to purchase all of the accesories (water pump, ac, alternator, starter, brackets, etc) and a PCM for the engine. Is there any information on interchange on other 98 or newer engines. I'll probably be looking on ebay and want to make sure I'm buying the correct parts.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mixing and matching between the Vette, F-Body and Truck will not work. Buy the complete setup of which ever setup you chose. But if you have a 98 LS1, suggest you look for a wiring harness and PCM from a 98 F-Body.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:01 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, what he said.....

There are a number of accessory configurations, each with their pro's and con's. As a rule, major parts don't interchange between the systems. To make life even more complicated, the harmonic balancers are different, so you have to plan on changing that too (if you're changing from what you've got).

I would suggest you look at your application and decide what you need.

Trucks run the alt up high, but furthest from the block (closest to the radiator). If you've got the room, these are typically the least expensive.

F-body and GTO packages puts the alternator down low, which may cause steering box interference, depending upon your application. They're closer to the block than the truck stuff, but not the closest.

The shortest package (most distance to radiator) is the vette and CTS-V stuff (2 systems are slightly different, but some stuff interchanges). They're typically the most expensive (go figure). Vette puts the alt up high. Don't know where the CTS-V puts it.

And there are some aftermarket systems available, but they aren't exactly cheap (but they have a high bling factor).

'JustDreamin'
Old 11-08-2006, 08:50 PM
TECH Resident

Oh, and forgot to mention: Truck accessories won't work with a car (LS1 / 6 / 2 / Fast) intake without some modification to the drive setup. I think water pump outlet and belt routing interfer with the throttle body. There is a work around, check out performancetrucks. Somebody on there has done the swap, with pics and such.

'JustDreamin'

Quick Reply: ls1 accesorie interchange