General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car wont start sometimes :(

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 08:57 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Car wont start sometimes :(

Well, I went to fire up the TA today and turned the key and NOTHING, no try, no clunk of the starter, NOTHING! I pushed the clutch in a few times, made sure it was in N and tried again...nothing. I removed the key and put it back in. Fired up like normal. It has done this a couple of times randomly now. WTF!? Im worried

Yeah, the dash light (red thingy!) was blinking and IIRC I had a solid SECURITY on the dash cluster. I have a spare key JUST MADE! Do you think its my key (I was using the old one) or the VATS itself? The chip in my key (old one) looks just fine to me. Could it be jacked up and I not know it?

(the above and below cut/pasted from another section b/c im lazy)

She will be sleeping at the dealership tonight. THey are trying to replicate the problem. It did it to me 3 times today wiht the new key no less. I dont want to be stranded. They think its the cylinder lock but are trying to verify it. This thing is almost as bad as my damn ford

PS. there were no VATS codes when they scanned it.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i used to have that problem. i think your starter is going bad. and it was also about the time i bought a new key for my car. i was a lifeguard for 4 years and the water was ruining my chip. but i replaced my starter, and got a new key. works great now.

edit, it wasnt the starter that was broke, it was the sileniod. but you replace them as a whole. so both came out.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:41 PM
Banned

How much $$? Damn the dealership is gonna rape me
Old 11-09-2006, 10:52 PM
TECH Veteran

2 bolts to replace it yourself.

man, were gonna need a sticky just for you in the general LSX discussion area.

"BLKWS.6's car troubles"

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
How much $$? Damn the dealership is gonna rape me
Old 11-09-2006, 10:57 PM
Banned

I guess Pontiac=Ford what can I say?
Old 11-09-2006, 11:04 PM
TECH Veteran

if you were close to me, id look over the whole car. but since youre not, theres always LS1tech.

Originally Posted by BLKWS.6
I guess Pontiac=Ford what can I say?
Old 11-09-2006, 11:28 PM
On The Tree

well, the starter should run you about 100 bucks. 75 at advanced auto with exchange of your old one. its gaurnteed for life. and installation at a shop is between 125-200. epending on the shop. but i would do it myself(i am, mine shitted out the other day). buy a haynes manuel, it will be your new found friend
Old 11-09-2006, 11:31 PM
Banned

yeah, they are already diagnosing the problem. thing is, they can diagnose every damn thing on the car and it only cost me $82...IF! I let the mdo the work ect. It is included int he price. Otherwise I pay diagnostics argggg BITCH!
Old 11-10-2006, 08:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Should have taken your car to Advanced Auto or something, and have them do the free tests on your car. That would tell you whether the starter is going bad. Takes half an hour, and its free.

Another thing you might want to look into is your ignition relay. Mine kept going bad on me and the car would have issues starting sometimes, sometimes not, sometimes it wouldn't start at all. It was always just the relay......
Old 11-10-2006, 09:50 AM
Banned

SO many damn things that can go wrong
The starter doesn't throw a code either arggg
Old 11-10-2006, 10:35 AM
On The Tree

if you have a security light on your dash then somethings wrong with the new key, you will have to take the car to the dealer. had the same problem on a grand-am, I had put a new key switch in it and got a new key and the security light came on and the car wouldn't start had to get it towed to the dealer and get it reset.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by stroked383z
if you have a security light on your dash then somethings wrong with the new key, you will have to take the car to the dealer. had the same problem on a grand-am, I had put a new key switch in it and got a new key and the security light came on and the car wouldn't start had to get it towed to the dealer and get it reset.
It does it with both keys, they so far catn replicate the problem, and they have no VATS codes from it This thing is becoming a pain in the ***, but since it WONT TURN OVER AT ALL at times, I think its the cylinder lock, or the starter.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:46 AM
On The Tree

my car was doing the exact same thing. i got a new key, that helped. and it wouldnt start when it was hot(like if you got gas or something) and then i replaced the starter. i havent seen that security light since.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bradmb
my car was doing the exact same thing. i got a new key, that helped. and it wouldnt start when it was hot(like if you got gas or something) and then i replaced the starter. i havent seen that security light since.
It does it cold as well as hot. has no preference.