Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How hard is it to bend a pushrod?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 09:53 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Worried about pushrods after a missed shift :(

Tonight I was out playing and shifted at around 5500 from 3rd to 4th...or so I thought. I had actually put it in 2nd, the clutch was not all the way out, but enough to provoke the low-trac light. My "mental memory tach" does not recall the tach going over redline, if it did, it wasnt but the thickness of the needle if that. Maybe 6200 or something. I parked the car, listened to it, popped the hood and hear NOTHING but the minute sewing machine purr of an LS1. Then I got my head under the car by the passenger door and heard a minute tick tick tick that I think is just normal. It was WAY to frequent at 800rpm (idle) for it to be a bent pushrod, I have had 1 header runner leak once so I know how frequent the tap would be on a V8 at 800rpm. Was VERY FAINT! too, I think it is just a normal sound as from the top I heard NOTHING!!! Am I in the clear guys? Are pushrods THAT delicate?

Last edited by BLKWS.6; 11-12-2006 at 12:26 AM.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you dont hear anything you are most likely fine. Safe bet would be pull valve covers and rockers and check. They are delicate. I missed fourth and hit second, bent all 16. I would rather bend pushrods then valves though so i dont mind.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sh4Dy
If you dont hear anything you are most likely fine. Safe bet would be pull valve covers and rockers and check. They are delicate. I missed fourth and hit second, bent all 16. I would rather bend pushrods then valves though so i dont mind.

Wow...did you hear lots of racket? This worries me
Old 11-11-2006, 10:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah the car vibrated bad and shutoff when it happened, took a couple tries to start it. Once it fired up it made a loud tick, if youre pushrods were bent like that you would know it. It only takes a hour or two I would pull them out and roll them on a piece of glass, if they wobble replace em.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:53 PM
Banned

I have no rattle on shutoff or crank and when listening under the hood its just the usual valvetrain stuff. Each valve cover is QUIET (for an LS1) or rather should I say, the same loud, lol (same as before the incident). The only "Tick"I hear is under the car. I think its the exhaust because its ticking really rapidly, almost in harmony with the muted "blat blat blat" out the tail pipe. But if I had a pushrod bent, I would hear it in the top of the motor, no? By listening to valve covers.

Starts up with a roar, and I put her in 4th and went to 5K or so just now on the freeway. No wierd noises and she pulled like normal.

Am I okay?