Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

header bolt fell out

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default header bolt fell out

so yesterday i was under my car messing with the cat back when i found one of my header bolts laying on the ground. I have hooker lt's cerramic coated with the gasket that came with them which was allright. The bolts that came with the heads were very short. I mean like only got probbley a couple of threads in the head. I have afr 205 heads. My question is how deep is the bolt hole in the heads so i can find better bolts with more clamping force? Did i mention the few threads form the head were still on the bolt laying on the ground Oh yea now i have a fat header leak
Old 11-17-2006, 07:24 PM
Has Unresolved Sales In Feedback/12 second club

I used the longer ones from the front cover of a spair motor i had.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:45 PM
On The Tree

im getting ready to put a bigger cam in mybe i will just take one of those front cover bolts and see if it fits then go get alot more. I was looking at some arp header stods but they look like they dont go into the head much further ither. Anyone have them arp studs. I was looking at the ones on thounder racings website. any body know where they may have longer ones?

Last edited by FRUSTRATED T/A; 11-17-2006 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:53 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by FRUSTRATED T/A
im getting ready to put a bigger cam in mybe i will just take one of those front cover bolts and see if it fits then go get alot more. I was looking at some arp header stods but they look like they dont go into the head much further ither. Anyone have them arp studs. I was looking at the ones on thounder racings website. any body know where they may have longer ones?
The ARP header studs are the best deal. You can REALLY clamp them down as compared to a standard header bolt. They do thread all the way into the head so you have more threads.

It sounds like you have a problem with them just backing out in general, a nice set of stage8 bolts would be perfect in this case.
Old 11-18-2006, 02:40 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stick a piece of wire or something stiff inside the hole and measure it to the outside of the header flange. Subtract a little, then get some bolts that long. Make sure you use some never-sieze and re-check them after about a week of driving.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:57 AM
On The Tree

i used lots of anti-sieze on these. All the bolts stayed ok snug execpt that one which fell out with head threads still on it. I guess ill make the plung for some 100 dallor studs form arp.