Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2006, 07:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust leak

I just found that my Y pipe has somehow come off the header and it never really stayed on all the way anyway. but today i found my bandclamp on the drivers side was broken in half and pull it off to find the header and Y pipe not even connected only the top of the Y pipe was hanging on the header. And i was wondering why my car ticked and that is the culprit, how much HP loss can this cause??? and also that is the reason ive been having bad gas mileage. Getting it fixed monday thought i figure cut the piece off the Y pipe and then put a longer piece on then reweld the Y pipe and clamp the Y/header merge or tack weld it on.
Old 11-19-2006, 01:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't over tighten the band clamps. Also make sure you assemble them correctly. You are talking about band clamps and not the u-bolt type right?

Also install the band clamp where it overlaps the header/y-pipe and do the same throughout the exhaust. I did this and cut out alot of leaks.

This is probably stuff you already know but maybe someone who doesn't sees this thread.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:30 PM
TECH Addict

yeah but the problem is the headers isnt exactly in the Y pipe, the Y pipe is like half an inch away from the header now and im gonna take it to an exhuast shop tomorrow to see if they will cut the piece off the y pipe get a longer piece then put it over the header and weld it back to the y pipe.
Old 11-19-2006, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default 67 tempest

i take it an exhaust shop or a repair shop did not install your pipes.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:15 PM
TECH Addict

No heres the thing i got all the stuff up and fit great, then i took it to a shop that was highly recommended and they said they fixed the Y pipe and nope they didnt, i took it to them twice and it still did it again, so im just gonna take it to the exhaust shop right down the road and get them to drop the Y and add like another 4 inches to the drivers side collector part and it will be fixed for good, plus the shop that didnt fix it is to far to drive and dont feel like dealing with them. And ive installed two sets of pacesetters one set on my car and the other on my friends Z and no problems with the headers just the damn Y pipe which we both took it to the same shop and same problems.