Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6.0 In 72 Vega RaceCar

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6.0 In 72 Vega RaceCar

Currently the car contains a turbo 400, 9" rear(tubbed) and 468 BBC (motorplate), with Brodix heads. Runs 9.4's in its current state off the footbrake.
Iam contemplating on going to an ls series engine! It has all the Racecar Stuff,(electronics, air shifter, delaybox etc Mallory Pro ignition system.)

So I wanted to build a 6.0 based engine (not sure of ls2,or lq9 style iron block)

My goal is to go 8.50s or better with no more then a 250 shot of Sauce.
On Drag radials
The current race weight of the car is 3020 with me in it(just like the car would make a pass)
How much weight would be saved on AVG from going with this swap?

Also would you guys go with a CARB set-up or Get the full benifit of the ls series engine and keep it EFI?

What kind of modifications would be needed for the fuel system to function if I were to go with EFI?

Iam very sure this would lighten the car dramtically, and make it much more Street friendly.
Sounds like a cool project to me.

What do you guys think

And who could i get a basic harness from to make this swap easier?
Old 11-20-2006, 09:40 PM
9 Second Club

I would stay with the BBC. It would be just as easy to go 8.50 with, and the BB can huff as much juice as u want. The 6.0 is an iron block i dont no how much weight u would save.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:36 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

The first thing you have to figure out is what you want from the car. The way it sounds is that it is your race car. If you are just looking to race you would probably be better off sticking with the BBC, it will be cheaper and easier. If you are looking for something with a wow factor, or are planning on driving the car long distances then it might be worthwhile to swap a LSx in.

IMO if you are going to swap a LSx in you should stay with EFI, it has a lot of advantages, and if you want a carb why bother swapping a LSx in? The SBC/BBC engines are cheaper to build and can make the same power or more in carb form.

For the fuel system there are a bunch of different ways you could go. Try doing a search for fuel tank, or fuel pump and take a look around. I used a factory EFI fuel tank and sending unit on my car because it was available for my car. But if I had to do it again I would probably just modify a carb tank. You can use the fuel pump/sending unit from a LS1 camaro in a regular tank. The camaro tanks didn`t use baffels like most EFI tanks, the sending unit has a fuel bucket and venturi system to keep it submerged. All you have to do is figure out how to mount it in your tank.
You could also go with a fuel cell.

For wiring either rework the harness yourself, theres lots of info in the sticky. Or call one of the sponsors, Speartech does great work, He`s a little more expensive than some other places but everything is taken care of. Jesse at wait4meperformance does harnesses too, he`s a great option if your on a buget, he reprogrammed my computer
Old 11-21-2006, 07:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Justa Z
I would stay with the BBC. It would be just as easy to go 8.50 with, and the BB can huff as much juice as u want. The 6.0 is an iron block i dont no how much weight u would save.
You are correct on the Juice situation, but I could have a VERY STREETABLE 8 Second car with a nicely built 400 +cubic inch LS engine. I really wanna enjoy this UGLY LIL BASTERD MORE instead of just Floggin it down the track.

I also want to build a car that is very fast, and reliable..
Right now the car runs off of Blue Race Fuel. So I figure with such a high compression engine that I could make the same power from a more street friendly engine( with a lil bit(250 or less) of da juice), and with a another option being the new 6.2 aluminum block engine.

As for the cost of building an LS1 I could sell all the RACECAR stuff(elcetronics, complete engine,) and more then likely pretty much cover the cost of the build, I have had a few offers the best being 10,000 for the engine alone . I figure an AWESOME LS SERIES shortblock is about $5000, a nice set of ET heads or even a ported set of the L92's. I have a Fuel cell in the car now, and plenty of line volume to feef it. Just would need a different kind of pump.

If i were to build the l92 style engine, I could get the heads for about 1000 bucks, the block from SDPC for 1199, and a nice rotating assemb. for 3000.
Put anther grand into the heads to open them up abit more. I know there are alot more pieces involved but that is the LARGE STUFF.!

Its a big decision.!
Old 11-21-2006, 11:09 AM
9 Second Club

It is a Big decision. I just put a ls1 in my lt1 car but i went with a carb setup and a victory jr. With the wideband and the msd ignition box ill be able to tune the carb exact and I have a really good feeling i wont lose anything on my et. The only different thing in the whole setup is the gear and a few pounds. I wanted to do a BBC but that took a little bit more funds then i had.

Quick Reply: 6.0 In 72 Vega RaceCar