General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Anyone has starter problems?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 07:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone has starter problems?

Okay, im going to ask on here because I've never heard of, or replaced a bad starter on an LS1 car but I'm sure its happened.

My cars been having an intermittent no-crank problem for a while now. At first it was the VATS disabling the ignition and the security light would stay on. I did the resistor trick and just by-passed it altogether. It was fine for a month or so and now im getting a no-crank again. No security light and the car push starts fine so I know its not a security system issue. Usually after a few mins, sometimes just a few seconds, its starts up fine. Relay is good, and tapping on the starter doesn't change anything. Im going to check power to the starter today and then do some ignition checks as I have seen some problems there before.

Just curious if anyone else has run into this before. Im starting to see little issues with the LS1 cars pop up that seem to be more age related then mileage related. Power steering pumps and the like.

Charles
Old 11-21-2006, 09:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does it make any kinda sound?....like a drill or anything?....power steering pumps tend to collect metal shavings from the rack and will break over time...
Old 11-21-2006, 10:01 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you get dash lights when you turn the key on? Possible Ignition switch problem? If you have no voltage at starter solnoid when cranking and car is not starting; work your way up to the ignition switch from there. If its an auto, check for voltage through the neutral safety switch, or if a manual check your clutch switch.