LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

any cammed LT1 out there w/ cutout+stock exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 12:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default any cammed LT1 out there w/ cutout+stock exhaust?

i was thinking about ditching my x-pipe with no mufflers since its all hacked up anyways and going with ORY to a 3" e-cutout then to a stock muffler. are there any possible effects on performance other than loss of hp, say like running too rich or too lean? im running an LE2 cam on stock heads and it sounds wicked through the open x-pipe but i like the sleeper effect and my car will be my DD. just wondering what it would sound like through stock exhaust and then use the cutout to scare people.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:41 PM
Launching!

As long as you tuned it for open cut-out, you shouldn't have a problem. However, if you closed the cut-out it would go rich on you a little.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:59 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i do....i run around town wwith the cutous closed and stock muffler adn dont drawl any atten. from anybody...it doesnt caluse lean or rich it just suffocates the motor some....not bad i believe thats why i can get 25 mph freeway, with 3.73 and a stalled auto
open the cutout for fun....its the best way to have a fast car and not be annoying loud and drawl atten.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:49 PM
12 Second Club

i used to run this setup back when i had bolt ons and the motor did seem really choked up. but now that i upped the compression, and cammed it, i wonder what it'll sound like. anyone have clips of their cammed or H/C LT1 through stock muffler? also are there any f-body mufflers that flow better than the rest and still sound real quiet?
Old 11-21-2006, 04:00 PM
Staging Lane

i have a cammed lt1 with mac mids and a cut out, i love it, i got to addicted to it being open and now it sounds quiet (or maybe i went deaf). i loved it when i got pulled over, i would leave the car running and then close the cut out (mccord power plate) and never had a noise compalint with a cop.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:57 PM
Launching!

Agreed. If your going to run a cut-out, just buy a whole electric cutout setup. It pays for itself the first time it keeps you from having to roll underneith a car and take off wing nuts that are hotter than the gates of Hell. Or save you from a ticket.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im running cammed on a stock exhaust with a cutout. I have been driving it for about 2 years with the cutout open. Im gonna be getting the gmmg exhaust and going from short tubes to kooks long tubes soon.

The cutout is good, but can be anoying with 4:10's because every little punk thinks your trying to race even when your not.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:53 PM
12 Second Club

anyone else? anyone ran with cutout closed then open to see what it does to performance?

97LT1- the punk kids is a given just cuz your in the car. around here you get it from punks in ricers, mustangs, and LS1 trucks. im more afraid of the trucks cuz they are all dropped on OEM 17" wheels and there are a lot of them that run low 12's or even 10's that are daily drivers.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by street demon2k3
anyone else? anyone ran with cutout closed then open to see what it does to performance?

97LT1- the punk kids is a given just cuz your in the car. around here you get it from punks in ricers, mustangs, and LS1 trucks. im more afraid of the trucks cuz they are all dropped on OEM 17" wheels and there are a lot of them that run low 12's or even 10's that are daily drivers.

I know you just have to deal with the little **** that get a muffler and think they are big ****. You know I have seen some trucks on the dyno, but really never race trucks to much on the street. I dont do to much racing on the street right now because im trying to fix my exhaust leak and a few other things.

I have ran the cutout on and off to see the difference. It seemed like the takeoff with the cutout covered seemed a lot smoother and more powerfull. The car was not as powerfull at the upper rpm range. It seems more power is made up top with the cutout.
Old 11-25-2006, 02:15 PM
Banned

u should gain a little performance? or lose some?