Faulty gas gauge? 01 TA

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 10:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Faulty gas gauge? 01 TA

i saw this posted on the corvette faq:
Faulty gas gauge
If you have bad gas (phew!), the fuel sender can be affected by the high sulfur content in the fuel, and cause the gauge to read empty. They car will still operate normally, and the gas gauge will work again if you use better gas, and will usually start again when you restart the car. It's just better to use good gas. Some people have had luck with running fuel filter cleaners thru the gas tank. New fuel senders do not seem to fix this problem.

is this common with f-bodies as well? i thought something was wrong with my car cause i couldnt get any gas in it...but it must just be the gauge. i couldnt get any gas to go in even though it read empty. well i just drove like 30 miles today on E and the needle moved a little more towards the empty. i tried to fill it up and a half gallon went in before it shut off again.

i rarely drive the car so i cant remember when the last time i put gas in it was. whats wierd is that the needle moves around a little, between 1/8th and E. if it were stuck i would think it wouldnt move at all. any suggestions?
Old 11-24-2006, 10:49 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having a similar prob accept my guage was floating around and then got stuck above the full mark. The car was sitting for 2 years when i bought it from the guy so im guessing the gas screwed up the sender. i called chevy and they told me to stick a cleaner through it or else if that doesn't work prolly going to cost 850 for the new sender and labor.