Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guy's need some help on conversion. (newb)

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2006, 12:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Guy's need some help on conversion. (newb)

Well I ran accross a good deal on a complete motor trans and pcm setup (1000 bucks) and was wondering what else I would need for a swap into my 71 chevelle. I have read up on the basics such as things I will need, but there is still plenty I dont know about. So here is a list of what I have come up with if you guys know of something that will make it easier on me please let me know.
Plastic Impala fuel tank
will be elliminating AC so I dont think I will need to notch frame (is this correct)?
Hooker s/c headers. How much bending will these take?

Thats the start hopfully you guys will help me out, some of the questions I have are..
How do you install the six speed in the previousy auto car, ie. pedal?
Also is there a pan that wont require modification out there yet or is cutting it my only option?
Thanks for the help guys.
Brian
Old 11-24-2006, 12:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Use the search for Chevelle and the sticky... good information. you can also search on the chevelle guys UserID (advance search) like mine id bczee, Stealth71, ls1chevelle, blackrose90, 70 chevelle, Johnb has a MC and has a site, very good info there.

I am in concord,ca (PM me if you want to talk) and near completion of my 71 Chevelle, using a 99' LS1 with Viper T56. my project is documented on this site http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2353903

Aslo using a Impala Gas tank with a Walbro 255 pump.

If you use the BRP style plate.. you can fit it (very tight) with the stock F-Body oil pan. I am using a CTS-V pan. it gave a little more room but is 1" deeper.

If you don't use A/C, correct, no notching of the frame.

T56 is a large trans.. will most likely end up cutting the tunnel (as most of us has).

Good luck

Last edited by bczee; 11-24-2006 at 03:12 PM.
Old 11-24-2006, 01:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im doing he swap as well. Nocting the frame for AC IS NOT required IF you use S&P engine mounting plates, and thier brackets. Im not sure what full lenght headers fit with these mounts, but S&P makes shorty headers that will fit for sure.

Also using S&P engine mounts set the motor ahead further than most other brakets, (Im not saying it a good thing) but you dont have to cut as much of the trans tunnel that way either.

As for the oil pan - I had one custom made for me thew Canton. It holds 6.5qts. I know there are some being made, but dont know what engine mounts you will need to run.

Last edited by TT402LS1; 11-24-2006 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-24-2006, 08:57 PM
TECH Regular

Mine is a auto trans. I used the S&P mounts moving the stock motor mounts back around 2" and redrilling the holes. I used S&P shorties for headers and modified the crossmember for the trans. I used a magnaflow Chevelle exaust kit and it came with most of the stainless steel to fab it to connect to the headers. I didnt run AC so I dont know if it would clear. S&P oil pan too.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the info guys, its giving me some good ideas.
Has anyone tried the mac mid lengths? I would think those would work. I really would like to use long tubes if possible.

Quick Reply: Guy's need some help on conversion. (newb)