General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Rear Hatch Difference's?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 06:55 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Hatch Difference's? (PIC)

I am almost sure that there isnt any difference between the hatches from a 93-97 car versus a 98-02 Camaro, but I kind of feel the need to ask because my hatch just doesnt seem to fit right. The spacing seems kind of off, and the bottom-most part of the hatch, the part right above the panel which reads "CAMARO" is stuck out and doesnt line up in the slightest. I mean I can stick most of my hand up into the hatch area and feel the rubber seal. I'd be quick to think it was bent, but for the oddest reason, it almost seems like it's not. There are cracks on the underside of the hatch and on the outside which would lead me to belive that the hatch was pryed open once, but, the "CAMARO" panel also has cracks in it, and on the passneger side actually doesnt fit flush with the quarter panel. Has anybody seen this before? This might be a stupid question, but I'm hoping the people on here that know alittle more than me about these car's could chime in to support what I think it is, or otherwise.

Last edited by Something; 11-27-2006 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

same thing, go for it
Old 11-27-2006, 07:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like that filler panel is just jacked up. Even if it wasn't you still should be able to get part of your hand in there.

I confer with Tainted.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:10 PM
Staging Lane

Here is the only pic I have of it. Not the best to show the gap, but it should kind of give the idea of how much space I'm talking about.
Old 11-27-2006, 09:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

O_O That's quite a gap! Maybe get the same year filler panel?
Old 11-27-2006, 10:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You did a real number on that one.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:30 PM
Staging Lane

...I bought the car like that. So, is it the filler panel or is it the hatch, or can you even tell? I mean both are worked over, but like I said, it just doesnt seem right. For that much gap, the hatch doesnt seem THAT bent out of place. And are there differences in the years of the filler panels? I mean this one seems like the right one, it's actually the original color of the car and sits flush with everything else BUT the hatch.

P.S: If you think thats bad, you should see the rest of the car. The back bumper, and the bottom of both doors under the trim line are black from a half-assed two tone job, the front bumper and fenders are primed black, with spots of the original teal green shining through, one door is in need of extensive re-working as the entire line of the door nearest the fender is worn down to the fiberglass, and has created almost an inch gap. Not to mention, ALL of the locks are different, including the t-top's, the front bumper support is in need of replacement as is the bent to hell hood. The only thing straight on the car are the quarter panel's, albeit with a few dings and the spoiler which is actually a nice teal green to top off the whole tri-tone theme I got going.

Not much of a looker, but it's actually not that much work to do. The engine and tranny have 95k on them, and minus the tear in the elbow making it run lean, mechanically the car is in better condition than my DD.