LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Dual cat LT1's enter

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 06:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dual cat LT1's enter

Ok I dont take my exhaust apart everyday, and have had a bitch of a time with passenger side header gasket this time.

My question is what is the best way to put the stock cat on the driver side back on? The one that connects to form the y in the stock y pipe.

I am still running this since I have shorties, and it was easy to get off, but is not going back on too easy. It is very tight once the exhaust meets up with the passenger side, and then this prevents me from bolting up the 3 bolts on the drivers side header flange.

Any input would be great.
LT's going in after christmas,but have to have this car running for school.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 11-28-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get the driver's side loosely bolted up first. Then loosely bolt up the passenger side. Bolt the two together, again just loosely. Then tighten the driver's side, passenger's side, and finally the clamp that holds both together. If you aren't too far along, and you haven't already done so, a good idea is to use anti-sieze on all the threads.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Get the driver's side loosely bolted up first. Then loosely bolt up the passenger side. Bolt the two together, again just loosely. Then tighten the driver's side, passenger's side, and finally the clamp that holds both together. If you aren't too far along, and you haven't already done so, a good idea is to use anti-sieze on all the threads.

Thanks man, I will try this.
I have my passenger side tight already, and I bet that is the problem.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

when I had my shorties and cats still, I once had issues with the Driver side gasket between the cat and header so, I put it on and off several times. I had left the passenger side alone. I just started the threads on the header/cat flange and then got that other end in place and hand tighten those bolts... then I wiggled header/cat flange a tad and tighted them up and went back to the other end for the final wrenching.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
This worked great for anyone that needs to know.
Thanks leadfoot.

Quick Reply: Dual cat LT1's enter