LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

A slightly different clogged cat question

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 07:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A slightly different clogged cat question

If your cat is clogged will it let the car operate properly while its cold, then cause power loss after its warm?

My car runs 100% until it gets up to tempature.....then it cuts out quickly, stumbling and sputtering, and I have about 1/2 mile to get somewhere till it dies completely and wont restart!

After you let it sit for 30 minutes it will restart, but die again quickly.

Last edited by Mr_Hende; 11-30-2006 at 07:29 AM.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:20 AM
On The Tree

bang on your cat, if something rattles inside then its breaking up.
Old 11-30-2006, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

i know this sounds off topic but it may help you...some of the mid 90s honda civics and integra had the same problem you are describing where they would run fine til they got warm and then they would progressivel get worse and shut off. Turns out their fuel pumps relays (iirc) were bad. just throwing that out there. it's hard to diagnose over the computer
Old 11-30-2006, 12:38 PM
Teching In

I had the same problem a few months ago, ended up gutting my cat because of it, but now I'm glad I did, gained some good down low from it, but my problem was a coolant sensor. Car would buck at anything over 1/4 throttle and would just bog until it would stall, sometimes when I waited to start my car it would fire up and would be fine for a few minutes till it heated up again, then it would crap itself again. The sensor is right under neath your intake elbow, if there is a check engine light on when this happens chances are it might be that sensor, about $15 or so and you should be all set with replacing it. Shortly, more like as soon as I replaced the coolant sensor, after my O2 sensors went, might as well check up or replace any cheap sensors while you're at it, if you haven't already.
Old 11-30-2006, 12:58 PM
Teching In

Whats weird is it had a chech engine light but ran fine. The shop welded my exhaust leak, and changed the fuel filter(just precautionary maintence). I had an 02 sensor for them to install but after they fixed the leak it fixed the light. So I took the sensor back to autozone.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:08 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A car with a clogged cat will usually start, but will not accelerate. Floor it and the car will just bog, but usually won't die. I would be looking at fuel or ignition. When one of my optisparks went out, it did what you are describing.

Quick Reply: A slightly different clogged cat question